HybridZ

Computer Wizz Help

I'm buying a new tower cause mines a several year old entry level model. I found a ebay store that let's you build your own by upgrading from a pull down menu with upgrade choices.

This is what I put together for $1053.00 shipped. Am I doing ok for the price?

System Configuration :

Intel i5/i7 Sandy Bridge CPUs :> Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad Core 8000K

Intel i5 / i7 CPU Fans :> Intel Socket 1156/1155 CPU fan

Intel i3/i5/i7 Sandy Bridge Motherboards :> MSI H61MU-E35, (B3), Onboard Video, DVI & HDMI, USB3.0, GB LAN

DDR3 Dual Channel memory :> 4GB (2x2GB) PC8500 DDR3 1066 Dual Channel

PCI-Express Video cards >: HD Onboard 3D graphics HDMI+ DVI Dual head (only if listed with board)

DVD Recorders : > LG Blu-ray 10X Recorder,16x LightScribe DVD Recorder SATA combo drive

Hard Drives :> 1000.0GB Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2, UDMA 300 32m cache

Hard Drive Fans : > Hard Drive Cooling Fan Aluminum Internal

Media Card Readers :> All-in-One Memory Card Reader Internal Black

Sound Cards :> Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

Network Cards :> Wireless 802.11 N 300MBs Network Card PCI Express

Controller Cards :> USB 3.0 Adapter Card 2 port PCI express

Cases Micro ATX :> Winsys Wn-26S, Silver & Black Micro ATX Case, front Audio & USB

Power Supply :> Logisys 400W ATX Power Supply

Keyboards :> Black Windows Keyboard, 104 key, PS/2

Mice :> 2-Button Wheel Mouse, PS/2 Black

Speakers :> Black Multimedia amplified stereo speakers

Operating Systems :> Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD

System Condition: > All system components are brand new. System is assembled and tested. All drivers and manuals are included.

If you ordered operating system (Windows) it will be installed and configured with all drivers

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ht_10575wt_1143

Whats the intended use of said computer? Makes the difference if its good.

Thanks for the response!

No gaming use at all, just typical surfing/ video and picture use. I guess it's safe to say I'm just a armature user, but want a semi mean machine to handle storage and surfing speed...

I would avoid ebay stores for a complete PC build. In fact, you can get a slightly slower machine, first generation core i5 for about $500. These are factory refurbished units by Dell, and carry a 1 year warranty minimum:

http://dealnews.com/Refurbished-Dell-Studio-XPS-8300-desktops-from-449-free-shipping/465011.html

The trick is that the deal ends today.

For about $600, you can also pick up a fairly decent laptop:

http://dealnews.com/Computers/PC-Computers/Laptop-Deals-49.html

you can use it while sitting on the couch, toilet, bring it with you into the garage.

Also, your CPU doesn't determine the surfing speed. Internet connection does :) As far as storage, it's dirt cheap nowadays. 2TB external drives are under $100.

Edited by auxilary

I have to agree, I am a fan of Dell Refurbs, the deals you can get are hard to beat.

I picked up a smokin' netbook that I gave to my 78 year old mother...for under $300! For all the reasons he listed: use it everywhere, and it had a built in camera "For The Skype" so ma can be couch lounging and avail herself of the wireless router my brother set up (so he could work on his laptop while visiting!) Compared to the cost of a Kindle...I figured that was a better buy. Now dad grabs it when mom isn't looking. Means he can watch the game AND read the paper just like old times! :D

The Desktop/Tower deals they have there are even more ridiculous.

And they come with warranty and if you play it right in-home service! (or at the office...) :D

I can't see paying $1000 for a desktop with what's out there...especially with that intended usage.

I'm buying a new tower cause mines a several year old entry level model. I found a ebay store that let's you build your own by upgrading from a pull down menu with upgrade choices.

This is what I put together for $1053.00 shipped. Am I doing ok for the price?

System Configuration :

Intel i5/i7 Sandy Bridge CPUs :> Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad Core 8000K

Intel i5 / i7 CPU Fans :> Intel Socket 1156/1155 CPU fan

Intel i3/i5/i7 Sandy Bridge Motherboards :> MSI H61MU-E35, (B3), Onboard Video, DVI & HDMI, USB3.0, GB LAN

DDR3 Dual Channel memory :> 4GB (2x2GB) PC8500 DDR3 1066 Dual Channel

PCI-Express Video cards >: HD Onboard 3D graphics HDMI+ DVI Dual head (only if listed with board)

DVD Recorders : > LG Blu-ray 10X Recorder,16x LightScribe DVD Recorder SATA combo drive

Hard Drives :> 1000.0GB Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2, UDMA 300 32m cache

Hard Drive Fans : > Hard Drive Cooling Fan Aluminum Internal

Media Card Readers :> All-in-One Memory Card Reader Internal Black

Sound Cards :> Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

Network Cards :> Wireless 802.11 N 300MBs Network Card PCI Express

Controller Cards :> USB 3.0 Adapter Card 2 port PCI express

Cases Micro ATX :> Winsys Wn-26S, Silver & Black Micro ATX Case, front Audio & USB

Power Supply :> Logisys 400W ATX Power Supply

Keyboards :> Black Windows Keyboard, 104 key, PS/2

Mice :> 2-Button Wheel Mouse, PS/2 Black

Speakers :> Black Multimedia amplified stereo speakers

Operating Systems :> Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD

System Condition: > All system components are brand new. System is assembled and tested. All drivers and manuals are included.

If you ordered operating system (Windows) it will be installed and configured with all drivers

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ht_10575wt_1143

Try newegg , and Pricewatch They are pretty good for parts, whole pc's, all sorts of electronic goodies and super cheap prices.

Sad fact: that will actually cool it well. I built my semi-gaming rig a few months ago:

antec 200 case, 5 120mm fans at 1300-1600rpm (quiet, move a lot of air), nvidia 285gtx, core i7-950 (3.06ghz OC to 3.3), 4gb 1600mhz ram. I was too cheap to get a solid state drive , they're too expensive for what they are right now, regardless of performance gains.

My system runs pretty cool, and total cost was $600, including a 700 watt power supply.

Sounds like overkill.

The K series cpu's are wasted on a H6x chipset MB. The K sku's are unlocked for overclocking, but the H6x chipsets can't over clock.

I think you could go to a i5-2500. you lose hyperthreading and overclocking, but still have 4 cores.

You don't need a HDD fan, not on that HDD.

I don't like wifi, to many headaches and not as fast as wired.

I hate bundled speakers.

Sounds like overkill.

The K series cpu's are wasted on a H6x chipset MB. The K sku's are unlocked for overclocking, but the H6x chipsets can't over clock.

I think you could go to a i5-2500. you lose hyperthreading and overclocking, but still have 4 cores.

You don't need a HDD fan, not on that HDD.

I don't like wifi, to many headaches and not as fast as wired.

I hate bundled speakers.

My system or what OP is trying to get?

I am pretty sure he won't be overclocking it. core i5 is more than enough for most people to do browsing. That's what i3 is for

I wouldn't do it either Joel. That's a lot of money to be spend for something you likely just don't need.

What are the specs of your current model and I'm assuming it's misbehaving for your desire for a new PC? Sometimes a simple reformat and reinstall of the OS is all a current PC needs.

The laptop i'm on now I picked up for $5.00 from a garage sale. Screen was bad. It's a Dell from 2010 that just came out of warranty. I put a new screen in it and it works perfect.

If your just surfing the net, word docs, etc. a basic system is fine. I would actually have 2 PCs: One for just doing financial work on and that's it and another to surf the net, mess around etc. In today's age you can't be to careful. This Clark Howards advice.

My system or what OP is trying to get?

I am pretty sure he won't be overclocking it. core i5 is more than enough for most people to do browsing. That's what i3 is for

The system Joel is looking at. If I remember right you're a sys admin or something :)

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I'll try JSM's recommendation and see if this keeps me from spending unnecessary cash.... :)

I wouldn't do it either Joel. That's a lot of money to be spend for something you likely just don't need.

What are the specs of your current model and I'm assuming it's misbehaving for your desire for a new PC? Sometimes a simple reformat and reinstall of the OS is all a current PC needs.

The laptop i'm on now I picked up for $5.00 from a garage sale. Screen was bad. It's a Dell from 2010 that just came out of warranty. I put a new screen in it and it works perfect.

If your just surfing the net, word docs, etc. a basic system is fine. I would actually have 2 PCs: One for just doing financial work on and that's it and another to surf the net, mess around etc. In today's age you can't be to careful. This Clark Howards advice.

If you're set on building your own PC, here's a good deal for $300. This is a bare-bones kit, meaning you assemble it yourself and it's bare essentials to get you going:

http://dealnews.com/Gigabyte-AMD-6-Core-2.8-GHz-Barebones-Bundle-for-300-after-rebate-10-s-h/466034.html

Gigabyte AMD 6-Core 2.8GHz Barebones Bundle

$300 after rebate

Gigabyte AMD 6-Core 2.8GHz Barebones Bundle

Hotness: hotness: 3/5

Posted 18 hr 24 min ago

TigerDirect offers the Gigabyte AMD Phenom II X6 2.8GHz Barebones Kit for $329.99. A pair of mail-in rebates, for $10 and $20, drop it to $299.99. With $10.35 for shipping, that's $47 less than the best total price we could find for these items if purchased separately elsewhere. It includes a Gigabyte GA-M68MT-D3 nForce 630a Socket AM3 motherboard, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz 6-core processor, Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM, Western Digital 500GB internal hard drive, and a DiabloTek Elite ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450-watt power supply. Deal ends May 30.

You can get a very decent video card for not a lot of money ($65), like an nVidia GEFORCE GT440:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130612

and a DVD-RW drive for about $20-30. A Windows 7 home premium 64 bit will cost $99 from newegg.

So, for under $500 you've got yourself a nice 6 core PC that'll be good for about 3 years