HybridZ

broken nipple, plugging it with bolt?

I was replacing a water hose when this happened. The Nipple on top of the TB BROKE OFF on me. It was really crusty and rusty. I am wondering if it is possible to just take off the nipple ends and plug the hole with a bolt? If anyone has done this or something similar please let me know.

Snapshot_20110530.jpg

I circled it orange so its easier for those who want to know what im talking about.

Snapshot_20110530_1.jpg

Here is the little end of the nipple.

If you don't need or want that fitting you might try an expandable rubber plug.

Expansion_Plug_neoprene_rubber.jpg

You can get them at any auto parts store in different sizes. I used one on a unwanted fitting on my LT1 water pump.

Loop the lower thermostat housing to the return line from your T/B (trace it, it goes lower thermostat housing, TB, to bypass line around the front of the engine to the inlet of the pump.

This line heats the thermostatic element in the Fast-Idle Valve (AAR) as well, but it's also electrically heated so that should not be an issue.

You CAN plug it with a standard 1/4 NPT plug as I recall. But looping the hose from the lower thermostat housing to the hardline front the outlet hose of the T/B went to will help speed warm-up and prevent cavitation of the pump if you drive off before the thermostat opens fully...

Check out my old "Page 4" at Cardomain for more information and explanation. Forgot all about it... In this one I'm showing how to eliminate the T/B heater circuit and simply keep the AAR heated. I did it all with 'straight' fittings and cut up molded heater hoses from A-Z.

Tony's Bypass Line Link

Cheers!

Edited by Tony D

Just took about half an hour or so reading the stuff you put on cardomain there, its awesome! So practically you deleted the t/b heater thing completely and used the fittings from it to route the fitting from the lower thermostat housing to the fast idle valve(AAR). Great this is just the thing I needed! Just gotta stop by autozone for some hoses now.

no, not yet. I took out the starter to see if there was any wear on the flywheel, also tried an old starter that i had laying around and the same noise.. Its sitting in one of my buddy's friends shop. He's helping me diagnose the problem before we start tearing it apart.