HybridZ

How bad can it be? Thinking of taking this 72 240z.

estrada42

So, I have an offer to tow this gentleman's car off and keep it.

It's a 1972 240z 4-speed. 44k

Orange with white interior

Has sat for 24 years.

What worries me is the door sills.

I don't know if that picture is very good, but both door sill lips are covered in rust. All weatherstripping has disentergrated and rain water has seeped into the cabin on the lower door edges. Also, when you lift the hatch you can see rust possible bubbling(?). You can't see it with the hatch down.

I figure I can get it back on the road running safely and if I repair the rust myself and maybe paint it myself for about $3-4000.

The real question I have is how bad can that door sill rust be, and should I let that stop me. I would be trying to make this a daily driver within 4-6 weeks of towing it. Also, how bad can the engine be after 24 years. I would be freshing up things, entire cooling system, plugs, wires, pull valve cover, etc.. As long as the block and head is good, everything else is something I can handle.

post-1024-056315900 1307469428_thumb.jpg

post-1024-072600800 1307469663_thumb.jpg

Edited by estrada42

Well, the picture you've taken is of a finisher strip that sits atop the weatherstrip and carpet. That's not what you should really be worried about... It's what's under that, under the carpet, under the body... Pull the carpet and padding up and check the floor pans. Check the bottoms of the doors, dogleg, spare tire cavity, frame rails and sheet metal underneath the car.

If the offer is to tow the car off for free then do it! You can at least sell me the front bumper for some dollars even if the car isn't within your scope of saving. I would probably buy the cargo compartment lids, front fender badges, and driver mirror from you as well if the price was right. My point is there are most likely salvageable parts you could make some money off of. That is to say if it's a free tow away.

Edited by emeraldlion

Well, the picture you've taken is of a finisher strip that sits atop the weatherstrip and carpet. That's not what you should really be worried about... It's what's under that, under the carpet, under the body... Pull the carpet and padding up and check the floor pans. Check the bottoms of the doors, dogleg, spare tire cavity, frame rails and sheet metal underneath the car.

All replaceable parts. I would be all over that car for the price of tow off. Good luck and her back on the road.