HybridZ

Factory strut top insulators without the rubber - pics inside

I've cut open one of these and heated up the rubber so it popped out.

I'm doing this for the purpose of investigating how I can:

1. Modify them as a non adjustable strut top with added camber and castor.

2. Shorten the strut top itself to gain some extra strut travel at the same (lowered) ride height as before.

5815149480_6c944d63c1.jpg

Picture 001 by MR240ZED, on Flickr

5815149482_284c8551d5.jpg

Picture 003 by MR240ZED, on Flickr

5815149484_b026bee3dd.jpg

Picture 004 by MR240ZED, on Flickr

5815149486_483b1aa245.jpg

Picture 005 by MR240ZED, on Flickr

5815149490_528767d86b.jpg

Picture 007 by MR240ZED, on Flickr

5815149492_593db7b694.jpg

Picture 008 by MR240ZED, on Flickr

Edited by RB30X

That stock top bearing isn't the only direction of rotation.

The strut rod doesn't move perfectly up and down. The rubber was designed to take up the "slack" as the strut move through its suspension travel. The strut has to be given a degree of flexibility in the top mount. Aftermarket uses a monoball and the OEM application uses the rubber isolator. The top mount isn't completely fixed into position in either application.

Edited by 280zcar

What do you mean exactly.

The factory strut top bearing will still sit inside that cup allowing rotation of the top spring perch.

Remember the thread about the TEP poly upper insulators? You've made something far worse. You'll snap a shock shaft in a few hours of driving.

I don't think those spherical washers can handle continuous friction. The material is too soft and will bind and gall. You might be able to harden them, and have them hard chrome plated but by that time, you can chose a better route.

What you need to look for is a self-aligning bearing to incorporate into the design. Similar to this.

http://www.vxb.com/p...CFcTd4AoduSHuNA

But you need to make sure it can handle the axial loads by a safety factor. I have thought about using a clevis and female ball end on top of the strut shaft, but you still need to have steering rotation freedom.

Edited by cygnusx1

I don't think those spherical washers can handle continuous friction. The material is too soft and will bind and gall. You might be able to harden them, and have them hard chrome plated but by that time, you can chose a better route.

What you need to look for is a self-aligning bearing to incorporate into the design. Similar to this.

http://www.vxb.com/p...CFcTd4AoduSHuNA

But you need to make sure it can handle the axial loads by a safety factor. I have thought about using a clevis and female ball end on top of the strut shaft, but you still need to have steering rotation freedom.

Well, I was looking for something cheap but you're probably right. The spherical washers I've seen are not precision ground.

That bearing you linked is made for high axial rotation. He really wants a spherical bearing (monoball) made from chrome plated and precision ground hardened steel. In my industry we tend to use 440C.

Of course it would be much easier/cheaper to just purchase a set of adjustable coil overs than designing and building your own from scratch.

Edited by rossman

Of course it would be much easier/cheaper to just purchase a set of adjustable coil overs than designing and building your own from scratch.

Yeah it would be. I do have coil overs but any height adjustment I can gain above the top hat increases my strut travel. The added camber and castor would have been nice too. Aftermarket looks easier.

• 2 months later...