HybridZ

Rb25 motor locked?

voltron_boi

Yesterday, I try to crank my motor and for some reason the motor got lock after rotating 2 cycle. I then use a ratchet to rotate the pully clockwise and it  wouldn't turn, but when I rotate counterclockwise it will turn to 1 half of a cycle, and then get stuck again. So when counterclockwise is lock, clockwise rotate 1 half, then stuck again. Anyone had this happend, or might no what can be the cause of this?

Agree with above maybe because your timingbelt broke.Dont force it might limit the damage.

Let us know how it turns out. easiest way to tell would be to take the oil filler cap off and watch the cams whe you try to turn. If they dont move when you turn the crank thats your problem

Edited by stony

When I install my timing belt onto the motor, it rotated fine. I took off the timing belt and thought it might be the head, but still that didnt help. I was thinking maybe their was a open valve that cause the piston to hit the valve? But, I already try rotating the cams and even align the cam to mark, and still same problem.

Edited by voltron_boi

What size cam are you running? I suggest you take all the cam covers off and find what's hitting. If its a large enough cam it wont clear the head withought machining the head.

Edited by stony

Cam is just factory. Rotate the cams by hand and it rotate no problem. Yeah, next step is takeing the cam cover off and hopefully find the problem. I was just carious can it be the transmission being in gear? I say that, because the tranny that I have it didn't have no shifter, but before I install the transmission it spin freely.

I posted this topic on nicoclub, and the guys say I have a broken valve? How can I have a broken valve when the motor ran fine before. All I did to the head is replace the headgasket to a metal one, when I had the motor out of the 280. Hmm..

It could be the transmission but when you start the car you push the clutch in thus putting it in neutral state it shouldnt lock if you have the clutch all the way in or maybe the clutch is not working. I hope you didnt break a valve . Good luck

It could be the transmission but when you start the car you push the clutch in thus putting it in neutral state it shouldnt lock if you have the clutch all the way in or maybe the clutch is not working. I hope you didnt break a valve . Good luck

When starting the car I didn't step on clutch. Just crank the ignition. Taking off the cam cover and will be posting up result. Thanks

I say your going to have to pull the head ! You'll have to do it anyway. How many cycles did you rotate the engine after you put the head back on ? It should be at least the same amount of cylinders the engine is. I learned to do that the hard way on a crx engine I had just finished rebuilding back in the early 90's before basic training. It sucked cause I had just had the head completely gone through and I rotated the engine once or twice and then the starter and crunch. Cost me a new gasket, 3 valves, a piston, and valve seat repairs.

Okay after tearing down the camshaft and cam cover, this is what I notice the different. Everything looks exactly like the housing number 1, upset housing number 2 sets different. Is this a bad valve? I took off the oil pan and see how it rotate from underneath and looks like cylinder 2 and 5 cannot rotate a full round, and 1,3,4,6 can. The picture below is from cylinder 2, exhaust side. So is this a broken valve then?

Man, your typing is pretty bad. Why can you text me in perfect English and talk fairly well, but then come up with discriptions like this man?

I feel for you though. I know you just had that head off. I was looking forward to seeing the twins fire off. Looks like you will be hitting up Ron again and seeing if he has a top end? Or will you buy a valve set?

Man i had a big old reply typed out and i lost my connection :angry:

Anyways. i will start with what i think the cause may be

First my understanding of your post is the engine ran fine before you pulled the head to replace the head gasket.?

1. You didnt line up the marks and both cams and crack correctly. This is very easy to do if your not paying attention when putting it back together.

There is a bunch of other things that are unlikley but could have happened. like you dropped a valve.This typically dosnt happen turningover the moter.

Your task at hand is to start going backwards thru the head removal until you find the problem. Good luck. Before you take the belt off line it up to where you had it and take some pics and post them.

Edited by stony

Man, your typing is pretty bad. Why can you text me in perfect English and talk fairly well, but then come up with discriptions like this man?

I feel for you though. I know you just had that head off. I was looking forward to seeing the twins fire off. Looks like you will be hitting up Ron again and seeing if he has a top end? Or will you buy a valve set?

Haha thanks Ray, I was typing through my iphone and wanted to make it a quickly. I try contact Ron earlier and he doesn't have any at the mean time. I search through Craigslist and saw a long block that a guy is selling. But its kinda fishy, because it has rb20 valve cover on it. Does rb20 valve cover work on rb25 head? Plus what do i look for to confirm if its a rb25 head.

Man i had a big old reply typed out and i lost my connection :angry:

Anyways. i will start with what i think the cause may be

First my understanding of your post is the engine ran fine before you pulled the head to replace the head gasket.?

1. You didnt line up the marks and both cams and crack correctly. This is very easy to do if your not paying attention when putting it back together.

There is a bunch of other things that are unlikley but could have happened. like you dropped a valve.This typically dosnt happen turningover the moter.

Your task at hand is to start going backwards thru the head removal until you find the problem. Good luck. Before you take the belt off line it up to where you had it and take some pics and post them.

stony,

from what I can remember, I did aline both the cams and pulley with the mark on the black plate. When the belt was mounted on the long block, I rotate it 4 times to make sure it all came back to the mark. Probably I didn't tight the belt enough and it jump a tooth or so. I just got done removeing the valve on the 2nd picture. When I remove the valve locks and the springs, the valve just drop into the piston. Ill be sure to post up picture, once the head is complete off.