HybridZ

Ebay, roll cage??

I have decided I would like to put a atleast a 6 point cage in my 240z, but I dont believe I have confident shops in my area to handle this task for a custom roll bar. I dont have a pipe bender or I would attempt to do one on my own. I have seen thes ebay kits 4 point for 199. and 6 point for around 280. with free shipping. I was just curious if anyone has used these pre bent kits or should I just pull out my checkbook and let the halfwits at the muffler shop attempt a cage install. I do not plan on drifting or racing, this is purely for strength, safty, and looks. Any info would be helpful, Thanks again

DatsunZman04 :2thumbs:

My $0.02. Stay away from pre-fabbed cages. They fit the car very poorly and still require some hefty fabrication to make it fit right.

I was in your exact shoes a few years back and I kept researching.

What I found out was that it would be a waste of time. Find a reputable cage builder or race car shop that will be willing to bend your main hoop for you.

I payed $150 for 1.5" 0.093 wall mandrel bent tubing that was custom fitted to my car. They bent the tube just enough to fit inside the car and not a single inch more. And then porta-powered the downlegs in place. What this results in is a roll bar that rests again the door jamb pillar all the way to the floor mount.

Im planning on copying 74-5.0l's cage design...You can find his main hoop drawing in the welding/fabricating FAQ.

I found pics of his cage and will be mimicing that route. Much better fitment and design. The way this JEGS/FLEABAY cage rests so far away from the door jamb pillar will only add weight and not necessarily serve to improve safety. These cages have a "gap" between the main hoop and door jamb. In a crash your body will be the first thing to feel the impact instead of the cage doing what it was supposed to be designed to do.

If you want to this style of cage, save your money and buy some lead weight to stick in the car. Results will be similar, lots of weight for not alot of purpose.

Again, just my $0.02

John, with that in mind I'm assuming cages like this will not pass SCCA rules without heavy modification right. When they tech a car, how do they measure wall thickness in the tubes themselves?

JSM and Johnc is correct, most pre-fab cages that are not car specific will not pass class rules. Before wasting your money and time you need to pick a class that is reasonable for your car to run in while staying in your budget, even if you are not going to the track. Weather its SCCA or NHRA each sanctum has several classes and each class has its own rules. Before even asking any real fabricater to put a cage in your car pick a class. Otherwise he will probably think lesser of you or even potentially take advantage of you. Example, do a half ass install which could not pass safety Ck on race day. Also in getting a cage install that is designed for your car to safety regulations it will be safer for you and you can get more return out of your car if you decide to sell. Ebay cages are riskie because you don't know the grade of metal used and costly to pay to make them fit. The most popular steel in racing is chromoly tubing because its light and strong. I would definitely recommend this if you are a serious enthusiast. But for the weekend worried a mild steel that is a little bit thicker is much more cost friendly and will do the same job. As per conversion bolt togeather cages are also sketchey in my opinion. But in the end its all about what you want and what your willing to pay for.

• 3 weeks later...