HybridZ

Lying, Sneaky Contractor & SCE Bastiges!

Tony D

Well, Edison is pulling new power lines in my neighborhood and I've had this sneaking suspicion ever since opening my service panel in the front yard that the contractor pulled cheap copper-clad aluminum wire, instead of pure copper. I was supposed to have 250A service, and I've confirmed just this week from the line workers that INDEED I've got 1/0 Aluminum wire feeding the house.

Now my driveway goes over the top of the line, so no digging it up to increase the conduit size...

I guess I can run 1/0 copper and get close to that amperage, more or less (and replace my service panel.)

But right now I'm ruminating over a welder that needs a 100A service, and that is ALL I have coming into the yard. NOT GOOD.

I may just isolate my sheds and the back of the yard, subdivide the property to a second address, and pull new 250A service to the old power pole for the other house we demo'd out in 1997. That would give me independent billing from the house, and leave enough power in the house to run an A/C unit.

Boy this does not make me happy. I suspected but couldn't see the ends of the wires in the panel, nor the writing on the sheaths, so it LOOKED like 1/0 copper, but something told me 'this stuff is aluminum'.... I was right. I got half the amperage I could with that size wire, and less than half of what I SHOULD have had according to my connection request:

"Give me the biggest service I can have without being a commercial customer!"

I gotta go beyotch to Edison now. But I don't think I have the conduit space to run the 250 A service. Maybe 100 if I go with 1/0 copper....

What do you guys think? Try to get something from the screwup on initial connection (uh...from 1997)?

Or start getting quotes for a second service at the property solely for the sheds, shop, and back yard?

:angry:

I'm able to run my shop on a 100A three phase 208V service but I do blow out one leg of an unbalanced setup periodically. Luckily I blow out the aluminum wire leg coming from the Edison bar to my meter so the landlord has to replace it. I now go out and loosen, re-tighten the lugs about every 6 months and haven't blown a leg for a couple years.

Yeah, I had it in writing, lot of good that will do with the contractor who-knows-where, and who-knows-what he told EDISON to pull!

I'd like to get the aluminum feeder removed and changed to copper simply for the ampacity increase and because all my damn conduits run to that service box, so my original plans would remain relatively unchanged.

I can always run a second service...but really if I'd gotten what I wanted/asked for/specified in the first place, there would be no reason for this crap now! Basically instead of running my wires to the welder socket and later a 50 amp service to my workshop, now I gotta pull another service in just for that, and pulling 50A isn't much cheaper than pulling 250A...:angry:

I am a practicing electrical contractor in NJ with over 40 years experience. Underground service feeders, or overhead feeders for that matter can carry double the current of the same conductor in a conduit or in an enclosed space. In the case of direct burial feeders the ability of the conductor to dissipate the heat created by the flow of current gives your 1/0 aluminium a rating of 215 amps. Check out the link below, and have fun welding! I've seen hundreds of homes with 200 amp services fed by #8 copper in the air. This is common in older neighborhoods.

Hope this helps.

http://customcable.thomasnet.com/viewitems/aluminum-cable/inum-urd-cable-600v-triplex-90-c-for-direct-burial

Sounds like if it burns down due to overloaded feed wiring, you got a case. I think it will handle the current though. They can also snake a new conduit if they had enough motivation.

Edited by cygnusx1

I'm able to run my shop on a 100A three phase 208V service but I do blow out one leg of an unbalanced setup periodically. Luckily I blow out the aluminum wire leg coming from the Edison bar to my meter so the landlord has to replace it. I now go out and loosen, re-tighten the lugs about every 6 months and haven't blown a leg for a couple years.

John, if you smear the wire with "no ox". or similar aluminum wiring "grease". you will almost eliminate the oxidation that is the problem with aluminum wiring connections. available wherever wiring supplies are sold.

mongo

I am a practicing electrical contractor in NJ with over 40 years experience. Underground service feeders, or overhead feeders for that matter can carry double the current of the same conductor in a conduit or in an enclosed space. In the case of direct burial feeders the ability of the conductor to dissipate the heat created by the flow of current gives your 1/0 aluminium a rating of 215 amps. Check out the link below, and have fun welding! I've seen hundreds of homes with 200 amp services fed by #8 copper in the air. This is common in older neighborhoods.

Hope this helps.

http://customcable.thomasnet.com/viewitems/aluminum-cable/inum-urd-cable-600v-triplex-90-c-for-direct-burial

Yeah, down the pole about a 2.5 or 3" conduit (haven't measured) which continued into a trench (then buried) to the service meter at the house. I've been gone from the house every time they've pulled the meter for repair or upgrade...

I had some direct-bury stuff from my shed to 'Chicken Island' to provide heat lamps for the incubation coop and lighting, etc... Goddamn gophers ATE THROUGH THE WIRES! Now I have conduit out there, but no time to fish the new wires and complete that project either! I vowed after the gopher incident I no longer would go direct-burial if I could help it, heavy wall PVC with a LOT of tobasco rubbed into it while it sits out in the heat. Paranoid? Yeah, but I HATE digging trenches!

Speaking of #8 Copper, that is what is run to my sheds for a 50A service! :blink: Same contractor... :huh:

Thanks for the link...I wonder if I can blow my line transformer like with the stereo in the old days...

Edited by Tony D