HybridZ

CHTS and IAT wiring

jthom5147

Hey everyone,

I'm working on my wiring diagram and making sure i know where to pull wires from / to. I will be using a relay board with MS2 v3.57.

Just for reference, IAT signal wires pair with positions 16 and 17 on the j20 terminal. CLT pairs with 18 and 19. 17 and 19 are the sensor return ground points.

My question is: do the stock turbo head temp sensor(which i would like to use as my coolant temp sensor) and/or GM open element IAT sensor have a polarity to the way the wires need to be hooked up.

Here is a link to the IAT i am using: IAT Sensor - DIYAutotune

I.e. does it matter which wire on the IAT goes to terminal 16 and which to 17? and which from the datsun head temp sensor goes to 18 and which to 19? or do they work the same way either direction of connection?

Thank you all for reading and perhaps helping!

I guess I'm either overthinking or underthinking this. Since the sensor is in essence nothing more than a resistor that has variable ohm values depending on the temperature of the resistor itself. The MS will be reading the amperage for a given voltage across said resistor and then working it backwards with ohm's law to find the corresponding resistance value. MS will then find the corresponding temperature from the interpolated ohm to temp calibration graph with the derived resistance.

But, long story short, since the sensor is a resistor.... the resistance value should not deviate with direction of current flow but rather only with temperature change.

Edited by jthom5147

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess I'm either overthinking or underthinking this. Since the sensor is in essence nothing more than a resistor that has variable ohm values depending on the temperature of the resistor itself. The MS will be reading the amperage for a given voltage across said resistor and then working it backwards with ohm's law to find the corresponding resistance value. MS will then find the corresponding temperature from the interpolated ohm to temp calibration graph with the derived resistance.

But, long story short, since the sensor is a resistor.... the resistance value should not deviate with direction of current flow but rather only with temperature change.

Almost... MS will read the voltage dropped across the resistor - it doesn't care what the current is. The sensor is probably half of a voltage divider and the other half will be on the MS PCB. The MS PCB will use an ADC to read the voltage. You calibrate your thermal sensor reading in your MS tuning software. EF & EC - 88 in the '83 280ZX FSM (www.xenons130.com) gives you a graph of the thermal sensor values based on temperature. Since it's a variable resistor it doesn't really care which way the wires are hooked up....

• 2 months later...