HybridZ

225/50/16 16x7 rubs rear struts....what??

Hey

Ive been doing a LOT of searching and it seems many people are using 16x7 wheels with 225/50/16 tires and around 0 offset without issues.

I currently have some old Enkie 16x7 0 offset wheels with 205 tires all the way around. I have about 1/2" clearance to the

bottom of the spring perch on the rears.

I bought a set of 16x7 (and I believe 0 offset) from ANOTHER 240Z GUY who was using them on his supposedly stock 240z.

Upon installation, the rear tires are hitting the bottom spring perch. I will either need to get a spacer or use a 205 tire.

The power that my Chevy 350 is putting down, I would really prefer a 225 tire, but I would love to know how you guys

got past this issue? I searched for an hour and no one else seems to have this problem?

Im Confused!

Abe

I'm running 16x8 and have to run a 1/8 spacer in front and none in back to clear the spring perches with 225/50x16's. Don't remember the offset but my issue was with the front spring perches. When I put the Toyota brake calipers on the front and Mustang GT500 calipers on the back I had to run 1/4" spacer in front and 1/8" in back to clear the calipers.

I ran 16x8 wheels with 245 45 16s for a few years. Granted that was with -13 offset though and I did have to roll the fenders. Never came close to the spring perches though. Can you take some pics of the clearance issues? and maybe some of the inside of the wheel. Some wheels have the offset stamped on the inside.

16X7, zero offset, 225/50 on a dropped 260Z and no rubbing issues that I've noticed.

Sounds like your wheels might have some positive offset, setting them back into the wheel-wells. Gabe has a point, check your wheel offset. If it's not stamped on the wheel then you can measure it yourself.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the replies.

The only thing I can see stamped on the back of the wheels says "16x7 2PC" and lot of random numbers. I measured the backspacing to the rear edge of the rim and I get 4.75"

Here are some pictures of my 15x7 0 offset (I think?) Enkies that are on there right now. In my first post I said I had 16x7 right now, I dont, I actually have 15" wheels with 205 tires. The 15" wheels with 205 tires are barely 1" away from the strut. adding another 20mm to the tire + bulge = hitting strut. I confirmed the new wheels are off of a 72Z with NO spacers being used on it. How odd.

I dont even know if these springs/struts are stock or not. I dont see any markings on them what so ever.

Take a look at the pics and see what you think.

Again, this is with my 15" enkies and 205 tires. But its pretty apparant how close that strut is!

post-12398-003778600 1311011167_thumb.jpg

post-12398-033835300 1311011191_thumb.jpg

post-12398-061803300 1311011204_thumb.jpg

post-12398-074583900 1311011216_thumb.jpg

Edited by revlis240

Spring/struts are stock. Going from 205mm to 225mm section width tires increases total width by 20mm, meaning 10mm on each side. That's about 0.4 inches. If you use your pictured wheels with 225mm wide tires, my guess is you'll be fine.

Backspacing of 4.75" on a 7" wide rim equates to an offset in the neighborhood of +20mm, too much for a Z. You need spacers or a different wheel.

^ good point. I suppose the guy may have used spacers and forgotten about them. He said the wheels were on his Z 10 years ago.

I hate my current wheels, thats why I got these new ones. I took the guys word that they fit the Z just fine, but were a good deal nonetheless. Maybe Ill put a 215 tire and a small spacer and see what happens. Whats the widest spacer I can use without breaking my studs every week?

Thanks Leon.

Im curious, how can you tell? The face of the wheel looks just like the enkies i have now with 0 offset. I thought offset was determined by how far back the part that mounts to hub intrudes to the inside of the rim, and obviously you cant see that in the picture!

Sorry for the noob question, i dont really know much about offsets and such. :)

Abe

Yes, that's what offset is: the relation of the wheel mounting surface to the centerline of the rim, and from the pictures it looks like offset is positive considering the rims are 7" wide. You've already measured backspacing and concluded that offset is excessively positive for S30 fitment.

There's no black magic about it, if they hit the struts when installed then they need spacers. Otherwise, you need to ditch them and get a wheel that fits.