HybridZ

Brake Upgrades, front Z32 30mm calipers and rear 280zx S2 calipers

So Ive read through many posts here and elsewhere.

Ive seen reference to Z32 30mm(rotor thickness) calipers for the front of early Z. I found pictures even.

Z32 Caliper options:

Non-Turbo calipers, rotors:

Up to 7/90 – Aluminum, 26mm rotors

8/90 to 3/92 - Aluminum, 30mm rotors

4/92 to 1996 - Cast Iron, 30mm rotors

Turbo calipers, rotors:

Up to 6/92 - Aluminum, 30mm rotors

7/92 to 1996 - Cast Iron, 30mm rotors

Personally Im after a Cast Iron 30mm set.

Thicker Rotor for better cooling in theory.

There is 1 documented Z32 swap on a Z. 260/280z front hubs milled. Rotor from Z33 also machined to fit. Just a big headache at every brake change I think. Not to mention extra time time down waiting for the modifications to be done if you dont have your own personal machine shop. I think at that point it would be easier and cheaper to go with the aftermarket kits out there. I dont have a grand to upgrade my brakes. Thats not gonna happen. Ill spend my money on rebuilt calipers, custom adapter brackets, and fresh rotors.

post-273-075489000 1311545348_thumb.jpg What brackets are these and what are the rotor dimensions(diameter and offset)?

z32 calipers, Z33 rotors

This is my goal on the front 387674689.jpg

From Rocky Auto's website but not a single specification. Seems to be based out of Japan.

I want to be able to bolt everything up with the only custom part being the adapter bracket for the caliper. I have a feeling though that rotor may be from a S15 as Ive seen some reference to S15 4 lug rotors for these swaps over seas, but no pictures of S15's with 4 lug rims. I also need to dig around and see what the 4lug Ford Rotors measure out to be. Looks like Im looking for an 11" rotor.

Where can I find adapter brackets for something like this? Im about to just take the whole assembly over to a friend with a CNC and say make this work. Anyone know of any other Z32 swaps and or details?

For the rears Id like all the custom work to go into the bracket as well. I have a set of 200sx and 280zxt rear calipers. Im going to see how far off the offset is here in a few days with what I have. MM and MSA seem like the only places to get adapter plates. The thing that kills me though is that NO ONE is making an offset Maxima adapter plate like part # 44155-04S10 maxima_bracket.jpg.

Where can one buy an adapter bracket for the 280zx turbo rear calipers? I do not want to run any of the SX calipers with what I am doing.

I do have the flat Maxima rear brake bracket.

If I cannot find a custom one, Ill modify my flat bracket like in this post.

Maxima Flat brackets

But it will mean running the smaller piston calipers

Where can I buy adapters, and what rotor options are available that DO NOT require machine work to fit.

Ill take measurements for adapters if anyone has them. I would want to know what rotor matched the adapter as well.

Edited by rayaapp2

The There is no functional difference in the way the SX and ZX rear calipers mount. It's a wash as to which one you go with, and be advised that if you upgrade the front brakes to even just the 4runner solid disk brake...the rear brakes are NOT STRONG ENOUGH to keep up...the 200SX are weakest, then the 280ZX, then the 240SX, in that order.

The 240SX rear brake is JUST enough to keep up with the 4runner S12+8 brake upgrade. Even then, it's very difficult to get enough rear brake bias.

(Note, I'm running the 4runner solid disk S12+8's up front, and the 240SX caliper on 280ZX rotors out back.)

Edited by Xnke

The There is no functional difference in the way the SX and ZX rear calipers mount. It's a wash as to which one you go with, and be advised that if you upgrade the front brakes to even just the 4runner solid disk brake...the rear brakes are NOT STRONG ENOUGH to keep up...the 200SX are weakest, then the 280ZX, then the 240SX, in that order.

The 240SX rear brake is JUST enough to keep up with the 4runner S12+8 brake upgrade. Even then, it's very difficult to get enough rear brake bias.

(Note, I'm running the 4runner solid disk S12+8's up front, and the 240SX caliper on 280ZX rotors out back.)

From what I have read the 240sx rear calipers have a smaller bore piston vs the 280zx version 2 calipers. Im not worried about the bias. Im trying to match the brake system up as best I can. Ideally I would be running the 300zx z32 or R33 rear calipers. See what Ive done hereNew MC replaced Pressure Regulator Valve and Pressure Differential Valve

The only catch I saw with the 280zx rear calipers is that despite the larger piston diameter it runs the same small pad as the 200sx. I was going to try and make up for that with different compound pads.

Currently Im running the solid toyotas up front with ceramic pads and stuck with stock drums in the rear. The bias is ridiculous. I can burn through a set of front pads in no time and the rear shoes have lasted for 25K miles...(3 sets of fronts later trying different compounds each time). The new MC seems to have helped a bit. I did not get to drive around long before my turbo went out with the new MC. I liked what I felt though.

Besides, I have the ZX calipers, flat maxima bracket, and a set of rotors. Although IF someone can defiantly state that the 240sx brakes are better than the zx Id definitely consider them. Whats the piston bore size?

The piston bore size on the 240SX rear caliper is 34mm on an S13, and 38mm on the Q45 or S14.

And then the upgrade I haven't seen yet...which I am getting ready to do.

The Z31 calipers have a 43mm piston...and use larger pads and a larger rotor. I am slowly collecting parts to fit this setup on my car; but it will require the use of a new proportioning valve.

Edited by Xnke

Guest skimattybee

I have been searching on the rear z32 caliper swap and i have yet to find an answer.

my question being : What rotor can i use if i am not doing a 5 lug conversion?

Correct me if im wrong... All that is needed is : 1. z32 calipers

2.Modern motorsports rear brake bracket

3.Correct rotor 4 lug x 1.1 in thick (not sure of correct diameter)

I have been searching on the rear z32 caliper swap and i have yet to find an answer.

my question being : What rotor can i use if i am not doing a 5 lug conversion?

Correct me if im wrong... All that is needed is : 1. z32 calipers

2.Modern motorsports rear brake bracket

3.Correct rotor 4 lug x 1.1 in thick (not sure of correct diameter)

What are you going to do for a parking with the Z32 rear brakes? I was going to do this a couple of years ago but I changed my mind for a REALLY over sized rears...See pictures but easy install. I also have a solution for the Z32 front brakes (what are Z guys willing to pay for a complete setup?). I also sectioned the struts with 1 1/2" lowering springs, 1" extra travel and 1" more lowering...so the total lowering is 2 1/2" and an extra inch of travel (if you don't do it this way you'll be on the strut stops). The rears are 1" with hugh pads...I am doing a DOHC Ford Modular V8 and can't wait to try them.

post-2541-093282800 1312262155_thumb.jpg

post-2541-081319200 1312262284_thumb.jpg

Guest skimattybee

I was looking at the modern motorsports parking brake...but I spoke with him and he is no longer producing them...so ill have to find another solution for that...any ideas? What's the solution for front z32 brakes?

I am in the process of having mounting brackets and custom 2 piece rotors fabricated for the Z32 30mm front calipers on my '71 S30. I am waiting on front hubs I purchased to get here then I will take them up to get fabricated. I also have a pair of 280 hubs so if the design works I may have them made for the 280 if people are interested. I'll be starting a thread on it when I get them going.

Guest skimattybee

The r33 4 lug rotors will work with the z32 calipers...they are a bit pricey on eBay...but I'm speaking with a Guy that redrilled the 5 lug rotors to 4 lug. Ill let you guys know what's he says

This z32 brake caliper deal is getting frustrating..there are plenty of nice kits out there ..it's just that I want the Nissan name on mine , going for the factory hot rod version look . I have found a number of inquires from enthusists ,but no kit for the swap seems available. I will do the leg work to get the pieces made if there is any interest from others to make several... to split and lessen the cost. I am in Charlotte NC , there is a lot of automotive talent here because of NASCAR...any body interested?

i found a seller on ebay that sells 4 lug z32 rotors...would they fit right on an s30?

I could be wrong but I think Z32 are all 5 lug. Are you thinking of the Z31 4 lug rotor? I have those on my S30, along with 280ZX calipers, but the rotor diameter had to be turned down to fit. No way will that rotor, or any other vented rotor fit a stock S30 caliper.

Guest skimattybee

im pretty sure that the z32 rotors he is selling are redrilled for 4 lug, i am going to use z32 calipers on all 4 corners.. my only question is: if the z32 rotor is redrilled for 4 lug, will it fit? and work with z32 calipers with 24osx brake brackets on an s30?

This z32 brake caliper deal is getting frustrating..there are plenty of nice kits out there ..it's just that I want the Nissan name on mine , going for the factory hot rod version look . I have found a number of inquires from enthusists ,but no kit for the swap seems available. I will do the leg work to get the pieces made if there is any interest from others to make several... to split and lessen the cost. I am in Charlotte NC , there is a lot of automotive talent here because of NASCAR...any body interested?

count me in...i have the calipers searching for the rest

I have a solution for the Z32 front calipers (with no machine or guess work on your end)...Do you want 4 or 5 lug? Do you want the strut tube to be sectioned? What size rims do you have? and I also have a 350z setup also!!!

Guest skimattybee

I would be interested in a 4 lug setup..I have 15's at this point in time but soon to be 17's...the rear conversion is where my main focus is right now though