HybridZ

JCI Cold Air Intake

Started to mock-up JCI cold air intake system. I can't get the aluminum tube to cram thru the 240z radiator support! Can somebody walk me thru this? How do you secure the tube to the radiator support? Also, collecting pictures of how you set up your cold air intake system. I'm thinking of passing thru the radiator support on the passenger side in order to retain the vent function in the driver side footwell.

Started to mock-up JCI cold air intake system. I can't get the aluminum tube to cram thru the 240z radiator support! Can somebody walk me thru this? How do you secure the tube to the radiator support? Also, collecting pictures of how you set up your cold air intake system. I'm thinking of passing thru the radiator support on the passenger side in order to retain the vent function in the driver side footwell.

I have the JTR cold air intake. I had to trim the radiator support (the upper large hole on the passenger side) to get the 3.5-in. (IIRC) diameter aluminum tube to pass through. Unfortunately there is no other way.

post-1734-074049900 1314665527_thumb.jpg

RebekahsZ,

I am watching your build trying to get motivated !!!! I have a 77' 280, and I am utilizing the area where the stock intake went. The core support had a hole that was a bit tight, so I broke out the dremel with a small grinding wheel and went around the whole circle until the aluminum tubing fit through. On my list is to take some flat stock shape like a " L " and make some support brackets if it the intake needs more support.

med_cai_install2_1.JPG

Thanks folks, keep the photos coming. So, I need to trim the hole to make it larger. Is the only SUPPORT provided by the tight fit created when cramming it thru? Also, my JCI rubber parts have been sitting in a box in the garage but they are alreay chalky and old looking while yours look nice and black-are you guys Armorall-ing the rubber parts? Also, my kit only has one section of aluminum tubing-do i cut that into two parts as needed, or did John short my kit?

Edited by RebekahsZ

As of right now the support comes from the throttle body and the tight fit through the radiator support. I have not touched the rubber fittings of my cold air setup, though I know I'll have to in the future.

My setup came with one tube section as well. You have to cut it to fit your application.

I'm going to attempt to make an airbox that gets secured to the pass side inner fender. It will be open to the rad support and incorporate a flat type of air filter instead of the round type included in the JCI kit. I'll post pictures once I start measuring and creating the template with cardboard.

Joe

Here is what I have so far. Engine is LS2 from 2006 GTO. Flipped the snout (4" diameterto) around toward passenger side, connected valve cover vent with 3/8 rubber hose running across throttle body. Cut out a section of the accordian section of the ductwork (3.75" diameter) and pushed it together which made the baffles interlock together really tight. I may try to squeeze some silicone adhesive into the attachment. Then MAF sensor. Will get a reducer from siliconehose.com to reduce from the 4" MAF outlet to the 3.5" JCI metal tube. Will fashion a welded flange for 3.5" JCI tube and trim out the radiator support hole to 3.5". Will use 90 degree bends from JCI. Total additional cost will be for silicone hose reducer, welding of the flange and an airfilter. Thanks for the pictures and imput.

post-5903-022654100 1315181336_thumb.jpg

post-5903-036472900 1315181345_thumb.jpg

It's my SBC setup, but it may help anyway.

Using 4" piping, had to enlarge the hole in the driver side of the radiator support. Fabbed small clamp and L-bracket mount to secure the 90 deg elbow to the rad support.

Good luck w/ your install.

post-4224-093311200 1315315411_thumb.jpg

post-4224-060155300 1315315423_thumb.jpg

JHM, I had my setup two years ago pretty close to what you have. I found out during a DE event that the intake would suck up water if it was raining out hard enough or if there were pretty big puddles of water on the track.

I will be working on a cold air intake plus blocking off the front of the car off to stop air getting under the hood.

Hey Clive-

Water intake could definitely be an issue, but my car rarely (if ever) sees the wet so I'm not too worried about it.

I built a radiator air box similar to what you're talking about. Pretty simple arrangement of bottom, top, and two side pieces; but it seems to work pretty well. If I ever get motivated, I'll pull the pieces and make templates to be posted here for others' reference in building their own systems.

r/John

post-4224-078433300 1315319435_thumb.jpg

A few years back, the K&N website listed a conical air filter that had a chrome plated shield on it (kind of like a bug and water guard). I couldn't find it on their website when I looked the other day. Their website can be kind of overwhelming due to so many, many products and part numbers. Anyway, if anybody knows what I'm talking about and can find a shielded cone with a 3.5" intake, shoot me a link. I'll be making my radiator support flange this week and dropping motor back in this weekend for some MORE test fitting.