HybridZ

Flywheel q's

akumazedex

flywheel surface are on all coupes and non turbo cars is 225mm surface. The 2+2s and turbo zx's had a 240mm surface

Same goes for the clutch, but normally they will say it in inches so like 8.8 inches to 9.5 inches

Just remember that the bigger clutch uses a bigger AND heavier pressure plate. So if you get a bigger pressure plate with the lightened flywheel it will be about the same total weight as a regular flywheel with a smaller pressure plate.

flywheel surface are on all coupes and non turbo cars is 225mm surface. The 2+2s and turbo zx's had a 240mm surface

Same goes for the clutch, but normally they will say it in inches so like 8.8 inches to 9.5 inches

Even on a 1974 260Z 2+2?

Tsk Tsk Tsk! :nono:

The question is really a poorly phrased one, the answer is "Yes they all bolt on and will fit with the right accessory package (clutch disc, pressure plate, and proper throw out collar.)" Generally the more correct answer would be "You have 225mm Flywheels, and 240mm flywheels, depending on what you want to do will determine which one you want to buy for your application, they all fit in the tranny the same."

If he's buying a flywheel, it doesn't matter what 'supposed' to go where. I have 2 of the 260Z 2+2's and they came with 225mm clutches. That's what is in my 77 and 76 Fairlady Z's with L28's as well as my 73 Turbo 240Z with 348HP at the rear wheels.

IMO unless you are really over 350 ft-lbs of torque and pushing a HEAVY car, the 240mm clutch is likely overkill.

A 225mm with proper facing on the disc will hold a LOT of torque. My 73 is not exactly 'lightweight' either---especially with ME in it...and those 265's out back BITE. Haven't had slippage issues in 40K miles of hard turbo driving.

The internet inconsistencies with "The 2+2 Clutch" are making it more difficult to determine exactly what people are selling or trying to buy. If they would simply measure and determine the dimensions that Blu Destiny gave and sell/inquire/buy based simply on 225 and 240mm EVERYBODY would be better off and FAR less confused.

It's not a 'Turbo Clutch' it's a '240 mm Clutch'!

And the pressure plates are not simply 225 or 240 mm, the 225's are separated into the L28 and earlier clutches (not to throw in the finger height dimension or collar distance.)

There is no 'Five Speed' and 'Four Speed' pressure plate combination... argh!

Frankly, whatever car I get, one of the first things I do is buy a clutch package for it and sit it on the shelf. Standardized on "1975 280Z"---that way EVERYTHING has the same 225mm disc, pressure plate, throwout collar, and bearing. The only thing I get differently dependent on torque output of the engine is the facing on the clutch. All use the same 780KG Factory Nissan HD Pressure Plate. Makes life easier.

The old clutches from the 240's I give to my kid to keep him happy with the L20B in the 510 Wagon: "Kid you got 8 lifetime supplies of clutch discs for that car, don't ever think of BUYING one!!!" :lol:

Edited by Tony D

Lmao that was awesome! Hahaha it's just I never even bothered thinking about any clutches until my who knows how old stock n/a clutch started slipping, turbo probably didn't help lol. I did some poking around and came to figure that (at least on the s130) that the 2+2 and turbos came with a larger flywheel and clutch combo while the n/a base (mine) got the smaller one. But what you say is that the 225mm an 240mm flywheels are interchangeable along with the clutch regardless of the transmission.

I went with the 225mm with an exedy stage 1, which should be more than enough contrary to the opinions of some of my friends hahaha.

It would make things soo much easier if the vendors just said 225mm flywheel or 240mm same as the clutch. But noooooooo they have to go, base model exc 2+2/turbo, turbo exc 2+2.. and so on and so on... It's confuzzling!!!!

Thanks again Tony

Amen Brother! Just state 225 or 240: LISTENING VENDORS???? At LEAST put that descriptor along with the gobdleygook about what it's 'supposed' to come in!

I know 225, and 240mm. I can tell that in the JUNKYARD on an engine sitting in a pile ready to go to the smelter... :blink:

The hagher performance frictional facings for the disc really make a difference. The stock heavy Nissan Cover seems to work well. I get stockers refaced at a truck relining place, they have the feramic and woven metallic facings there and heavy riveter to pop pop pop the facings on in half a day and away I go with another pile of clutch discs!

Not as cheap as the place outside Kunsan AFB Korea, by the Bus Stop. Every TDY up with a BAG full of toasted stockers, and back with a C-Bag full of profit waiting to be made! ;)

Seriously! That was how you did it in the 70's! It's harder to find a relining place now, but if you're a shop rat like me, who feels comfortable walking with white sneakers in pools of oil and rubbing up against greasy axles you can still find places to do it. There's a lot of truck places near where I live, and a couple of hours searching found me a shop that would do it.