HybridZ

For Sale Claims

NewZed

People come to Hybridz to learn from the best about how to get the most from what they have. They expect that bogus claims of technical prowess will get called out and exposed. It happens all of the time in the Technical forums. There is no reason for things to be different because the claim is in a For Sale ad. In fact, I would expect the exposure to be even more extreme in a For Sale ad, since you don't want Hybridz members to get ripped off.

If all of the posts from members who point out the flaws in someone's claim get deleted, then the moderators are essentially supporting the potentials scammer's attempt to scam, and shutting out the people who know better. Not leading the lambs to slaughter but stopping the members who are pointing out the wolf.

I think that if someone makes a claim in a For Sale thread that they should have some data to back it up, or take some heat for their unverified claims. Or they should be made to take out the claims, and just sell the collection of parts they're trying to sell.

I know that the Classifieds are a pain for you guys but there's no reason not to have the same standards for the For Sale section as the rest of the forum topics. Unverified claims should go to the Tool Shed.

Edited by NewZed

On different, but similar note, I'd like to see photos of FS items required. I'm a moderator of calibersrt4.net and we require photos with a piece of paper showing the users screen name and date, not saying that this forum needs to go that strick about requiring the name and all, as its made it a bit more work to moderate, but it has kept our FS section pretty solid. (we had a few members using others photos which created some issues)

Edited by spitsnaugle

"Unverified claims"

That's the problem. Verification. Are you volunteering to perform that function for all of the For Sale ads?

Maybe there should be some leeway in allowing comments, depending on how outlandish/outrageous the claims are. Then the effort from the moderators would scale inversely with HP or price. If you post an ad for results never before or rarely seen, be ready to take some questions.

I just wanted to throw something out for discussion on ways to avoid having people use the For Sale section to tell stories about their accomplishments or indirectly advertise their shops, without putting in the same effort required if they had posted in the other sub-forums.

Another way to do it would be to start a new thread with a link or reference to the ad in question. That would fit the tone of the site best, I suppose, without muddying up the original ad post. I really would like to know how to get 550+ RWHP from an L28, and wonder how long that power would be available.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by NewZed

Did I do something wrong? :blink:

<EDIT> Apparently not, my query is still up. Part Numbers for 'new in box' parts should be a no brainer to clear up any claims. Still waiting on that P/N...my money is flowing this month, c'mon man CAMAAAAAN! I wanna spend spend spend! :P

Edited by Tony D

Very difficult to police such a thing.

You may post about your Weber DGV's for sale. Do you want someone to post up saying that they are junk, and that you should buy triple Webers, or go fuel injection because carburation sucks, and there is dyno proof behind it?...See where I'm going with this? What about dyno proof? My triple Webers were a huge improvement in power over stock SU's..on MY super modified engine. They may not be much of an improvement on a stock l24.

Lots of opinions on what works or doesn't, or what you should or shouldn't do. Someone with a $1k budget for performance has much lower requirements than someone with a $20K budget. Who is someone else to say whether something is "good" for me?

" Someone with a $1k budget for performance has much lower requirements than someone with a $20K budget."

Doubtful, all that means is he's taking it in chunks. Just because someone has a lower budget than someone else doesn't mean they have any different requirement than anybody else. I'm sure the Sultan of Brunei thinks a $20K budget is cutting too many corners as well, and results in a somehow "compromised" vehicle.

In many cases, projects take time. In many cases, far more time than you think they will. And in the end, when you look back, your $5, $100 and $500 purchases over the years add up to far more than 'what your budget was starting out'!

Usually this is BECAUSE you have exactly the same performance requirements of someone with a stated budget much higher.

There are two ads in Classifieds now involving JDM Parts, NIB. One has a part number listed, one doesn't.

One is sold, one isn't.

Bad posts lead to questions...and in some cases commentary. It comes back to 'unverified claims'---if people stick to selling PARTS and not SELLING parts the commentary would be far less.

I don't know, when I go to a car sales location I grill the hell out of the salesman, because all he's spewing most of the time is B.S. I don't want a sales line: I want to know what you have, specifics on sourcing (how old is it, how long has it been in service), technical details (turbo A/R, does it leak oil, does it make noise, etc..) and lacking that CLEAR PHOTOS so I can determine what it is myself.

If you restrict an ad to those kind of things, commentary is usually limited. And any questions about 'the power it made with this setup'...those can come in the form of PM's. Links to off site dyno videos and sheets are nice, but unless you're selling the WHOLE ENGINE SETUP AS A PACKAGE, they're just more sales hype---leave them off or to send them to people who inquire.

No, Classifieds are not a discussion forum. Commentary should be limited to those interested in BUYING. If you're window shopping just look at the wares and regardless of the claims made by the guy at the door hawking it...smile, keep your mouth shut, and pass on to the next item.

• Administrators

No, Classifieds are not a discussion forum. Commentary should be limited to those interested in BUYING. If you're window shopping just look at the wares and regardless of the claims made by the guy at the door hawking it...smile, keep your mouth shut, and pass on to the next item.

Someone buy this man a beer.

" Someone with a $1k budget for performance has much lower requirements than someone with a $20K budget."

Doubtful, all that means is he's taking it in chunks. Just because someone has a lower budget than someone else doesn't mean they have any different requirement than anybody else. I'm sure the Sultan of Brunei thinks a $20K budget is cutting too many corners as well, and results in a somehow "compromised" vehicle.

That's not exactly what I was trying to get at. I was trying to say that someone who only wants a minor upgrade (insert mild cam, header, 4brl carbs etc) Doesn't want to hear bashing of some guys parts classified just because someone else thinks that they should not buy these parts because they should be doing a better upgrade (turbo motor, v8, standalone efi etc)

But you do have it right. Keep your mouth shut and keep walking by if you don't like what they are selling. Buyer beware.

In retrospect, where things went awry in cjmeredithjr's ad, is when he started goading people in to making comments. Basically he broke the no comments rule in his own For Sale thread. When the feedback he provoked came, it was then removed by the admin. Not a big deal, just disappointing that we couldn't continue the conversation that the OP started.

There wasn't serious "bashing" just what seemed some reasonable questions and comments (one post that was removed referred to the dropped valve seat in this very engine - not sure why that was taken out, that's true valuable information). There was also a comment about how the engine was "built by the best" but that seems to be gone also.

Maybe best for all that the For Sale ads be locked from the start and response by PM only. Then we couldn't respond to the goading.

Here's the buildup in the L28 Turbo 550RWHP... ad, from the OP -

"Let's hear some reasonable offers, someone is going to win big on this one!"

"Man, this must be one crappy economy when you can't even give away a basically brand new engine."

At least he replied to the last comment. Apparently it makes 550 RWHP before nitrous.

"Hey, another comedian, you must mean 850RWHP."

Maybe he'll respond to a separate thread with an invitation, and talk a little about the engine. It looks interesting.

But it's all good entertainment. Thanks for the great site.