HybridZ

f54 with n42 head, turbo?

Dillon

First off i know im going to get hammered for this but i have a question,yes i have done my "homework" and i know some stuff, so im not a total newb. I have a 71 240z with a "83?" l28, the block is a f54 and the head is a n42. so the question is would it hold some boost? i know the head has had some head work done to it but i dont know what exactly has been done. but it does have a cam..

so would it hold any good boost? thanks :)

P.S. i dont know if this is the right spot for this thread :(

It should hold as long as you have some fuel management and make sure you don't go lean. I have a stock internal N42 block with N47 head and have been running up to 16lbs on 91 octane with no issues. I have even had boost control problems and seen spikes up to 22lbs with no detonation, but while running pig rich.

Don't know if stock 1976 L28E has flat top or dished piston so that could make a difference?

Edited by nash542001

It should hold as long as you have some fuel management and make sure you don't go lean. I have a stock internal N42 block with N47 head and have been running up to 16lbs on 91 octane with no issues. I have even had boost control problems and seen spikes up to 22lbs with no detonation, but while running pig rich.

Don't know if stock 1976 L28E has flat top or dished piston so that could make a difference?

thats good to know :)

do you have a build thread up on here i could check out?

i dont know what year my l28 came out of, but i think its a 83 280zx.. so i dont know if it has dished or flat top pistons, but i might check today and see. Whats better?

i dont know what year my l28 came out of, but i think its a 83 280zx.. so i dont know if it has dished or flat top pistons, but i might check today and see. Whats better?

An F54 block with an N42 head is not a stock combination. So, basically someone put together that engine. Who know what pistons are in there, or crank or rods?

that's what i thought from the resource i have done the n42 head never came on a f54 block..

well today or tomorrow I'll take a spark plug out and see whats in there, and do a pressure test, and ill reply back with what i find ;)

thanks again!

Don't know which is better, because that all depends on you. F54 block supposed to be better since it is the last design for the engine model. As far as flat tops or dished, dished would be better for higher boost levels and you would have a compression ratio of 8.3 with that head if everything else was stock. With flat tops it would be around 9.8 which would not be good for turbo application. Some people like the higher compression NA engine.

Edited by nash542001

Ok so about 30 minuets ago i took out four spark plugs,and to my surprise one was up in the cylinder pretty far and i could see it was the "dished" style, and it was sooo shiny :D and the cylinder walls were shiny too!

so basically i have a f54 block with dished pistons and a n42 head with mild cam.. "it lopes when at idle"

Is the f54 with n42 head and dished pistons a stock combination?

thanks again

Once again, an F54 block and an N42 head are not a stock combination. However, it may end up internally duplicating an N42 head / N42 block combo.

With dished pistons (if they are the usual 10.9cc dish) you have a low compression engine which is not making good use of your cam. It should be able to take some boost, though how much is really dependent on the tune.

Edited by bradyzq

lol that's all i really wanted to know about turbo'ing it :) thanks

but also, umm this may sound stupid, but when i first got the car, i took the valve cover "cam cover" off and everything was clean "really" clean, and on the cam there was some purple mark.. i couldn't read if it said anything because it was almost facing down..

i dont know if there is a brand that write purple stuff on their cams or if it was just a mark lol "im stupid for saying that most likely"

but thanks, i still need to do a pressure test and see what kinda compression it has..

Guessing cam manufacturer/grinder based on paint marks is pretty shoddy at best. If you can measure the base circle and lobe height and subtract the 2 to get cam lift, you can get valve lift and estimate what cam you have. From what I understand, there are only a handful of unique L series lobes. If you have a dial indicator and a degree wheel you can figure out exactly what you've got.

hmm,i may do that when i get a chance oneday.

This is kinda way off subject but the car has a Holley four barrel.. and the little vacuum hose from the brake booster to the carb blows air when i hit the brakes... and the brakes dont work until i go all the way to the floor, and still then they dont grab much.. anybody have an idea? :huh: or can lead me into the right direction? thanks

hmm,i may do that when i get a chance oneday.

This is kinda way off subject but the car has a Holley four barrel.. and the little vacuum hose from the brake booster to the carb blows air when i hit the brakes... and the brakes dont work until i go all the way to the floor, and still then they dont grab much.. anybody have an idea? :huh: or can lead me into the right direction? thanks

If you have already ruled out bleeding, leaks, and a bad master then look for a displaced reaction disc in the brake booster. It is a rubber disc about the size of 2 or 3 quarters stacked up. It can fall out when the master is off, causing symptoms like you described.

Read this for details:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/69706-reaction-disk-pictures-and-walkthrough/

Edited by beermanpete

well after all.. we decided to bleed the lines again, and now the brakes work, but now in the back one wheel is always locked up and cant spin it, and the other wont lock up when the brake is pushed.. at all... <_<

Edited by Dillon

• 1 month later...