HybridZ

Who'd be interested if we made a L28ET trigger wheel?

Matt Cramer

So MS cant read the stock Nissan trigger wheel? Seems it would be much easier to change the software than reinvent the wheel.

I see what you did there.

Matt, what are the chances of you also making a distributor cap as well? Although, I've been thinking about adding a "spinner" to replace the rotor. That is, "my rotor keeps spinning every time my engine stops".

It'd be pretty fly, right?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, what are the chances of you also making a distributor cap as well? Although, I've been thinking about adding a "spinner" to replace the rotor. That is, "my rotor keeps spinning every time my engine stops".

Blanked-off distributor caps would be considerably more expensive - they'd probably have to be billet aluminum unless there's a LOT more demand for them than I expect. We'd have to see how this one sells and if we have several people asking, we might set up a group buy.

Lol - I got it ;)

So is there an updated ETA on the wheels? I was thinking finding some stainless shim stock and sweet talking the guy at the water jet if it's going to be a while....

Our trigger wheel manufacturer had been hit with a pretty big order; sorry about the delay.

I'm in for sure. L28ET Running MS-II with EDIS is the goal. I'm tired of reading about trigger wheels, damper failure and $400 solutions.

These wheels will not work with a EDIS module. They will, however, let the MS control EDIS coils directly.

I feel like a lot of people don't quite get that MS controlling coils directly actually has more features and is less complicated than EDIS. The only thing it lacks is a limp mode, but limp mode is only active if the ECU isn't sending a signal to the EDIS box, which would be a wiring or config issue. If the sensor goes, you'd still be SOL.

I've got 3 or 4 OE Z31 coils and ignitors, just need to swing by the Z yard and get a couple more.

I think they might be overkill, like 10 pounds in coils. And all the ignitors have heat sinks. Win!

Maybe just a little. :lol:

I feel like a lot of people don't quite get that MS controlling coils directly actually has more features and is less complicated than EDIS. The only thing it lacks is a limp mode, but limp mode is only active if the ECU isn't sending a signal to the EDIS box, which would be a wiring or config issue. If the sensor goes, you'd still be SOL.

I was planning on MS-II (v3.oPCB) sending the advance only to the EDIS module. So I still need the EDIS 36-1 Trigger wheel? I guess I thought this wheel would create the same waveform. The stock Ignition system doesn't have a limp mode so that wouldn't really be an issue. I'm willing to let MS control the coilpack directly if it will work with my MSII Unit. If not, I wonder if I could write some code to output a modified waveform to the EDIS via some unused wire in MS. If that were doable somebody would have done that with the stock distributor by now, right?

If you must have an EDIS module, you must have a 36-1 trigger wheel. I don't really see any advantage to trying to fake a 36-1 signal - the code and wiring is more complex, and there's more hardware but no clear benefit. My preference is direct coil control; I'd only use an EDIS module if I were doing a plug and play install on a car already equipped with a working EDIS system.

Edited by Matt Cramer

I agree with matt, you can try to fake a signal, but all you'd be doing is adding inaccuracies into the timing algorithms, adding complexities into the wiring and code, all to lose the ability to use spark cut rev limiting and have more hardware in the engine bay.

You can run the proposed wheel signal straight to the MS, then have the MS fire the coils directly. The EDIS box can go in the trash or on ebay or something, it's not needed. All you have to do is tell the MS what kind of wheel you've got and which coils are hooked to which outputs and you're done.

Edited by letitsnow

Sounds great. I see now the MSII Extra has support for direct control of COP and Wasted Spark. B&G didn't mention either in the standard MSII documentation, but talked about a triggering a single coil or using EDIS for WS. This changes everything. Now I have to research this implementation since my PCB was built targeting EDIS.