HybridZ

Cowl air intake

Well not sure if this is the right place... but I was wondering if anyone has ever run an intake into the cowl area? My boss gave me a K&N cone filter today and i test fit it and it seems like it would fit well under the cowl panel. I'd need to make a little bit of room, but not too much. I'd probably build a box that sealed to the cowl panel and put a little scoop on it to get better airflow. I read on here somewhere from someone knowledgeable that the cowl area is the perfect place for a CAI to suck in from due to pressures and airflow. The CAI I have on my mini sucks in from the cowl area too, and I like it a lot because I can hear it well from the drivers seat (I love the sound). Anyways it seems like most people use an air box with a filter in front of the rad. But I really like the idea of the cowl intake... Also I know this would be much easier with an EFI set up and a TB, but I am using either triple carbs or a 4bbl setup. Either will have their challenges with mating a pipe to them, but I think it will be very cool in the end... Anyways just looking to see if I have my facts straight and if anyone has done this before. Obviously it's going to need a lot of custom fab, but I am willing to do it if I know it can be achieved.

I think we're thinking of two different things... I'm talking of putting my air filter in the same area that the windshield washer arms run through... there's a lot of unused space there. If I'm not mistaken... shaker hoods and cowl induction are much different...

I don't ever recall anybody even suggesting that placement for the air filter---the wiper area.

B)

I recall a photo of a red Z with something similar to this done.

Go on MSA's site, find louvered inspection lids, that first car had it. Different, but I think its the same concept.

it does appear that way, yes! but it looks more like they're just sucking the air in from there and then it runs to the filter... different engine and set up but I like it! I guess I could make my life easier by just running a tube from this area through a filter into the carb... but I like the idea of the filter being there better.

I don't ever recall anybody even suggesting that placement for the air filter---the wiper area.

B)

haha ok now i'm convinced your being sarcastic...maybe my e-sarcasm app isn't calibrated correctly... but tell me your secret! :P

B)

Yeah, I wasn't figuring on that either. I was figuring on a stockish filter and using the cowl for a cold air intake that is slightly pressurized at high road speeds.

It sounds interesting. I have thought about doing this as well but never got around to it. You might need to have a method to separate water from the air flow if you drive in a lot of rain.

Well I don't drive in a lot of rain... but it isn't a bad idea... you never know what might happen. I was worried about this with my mini... but somehow it never became an issue, and many people did the same mod i did without issue. I would for sure need to put in a drain at the bottom of the box. And if I really wanted to be pro I could get an h20-phobic air filter sleeve... but I don't think it will be much of a problem. I guess I need to think about it more. I think for the majority of rain driving I do, just the oil on the filter will be enough to stop most water from getting into my engine. But I certainly need to give that some thought. A drain will be esential though because if I have to park in the rain for a period of time for whatever reason, the sealed box could easily fill with water. Then I'd turn my air intake into a water intake. I guess it would be kinda cool to turn my L28 into a water pump! it would give me low IAT's :).

Yeah, I wasn't figuring on that either. I was figuring on a stockish filter and using the cowl for a cold air intake that is slightly pressurized at high road speeds.

I guess I'm on an original thought then... I find that hard to believe. these cars have been around for 40 years and an 18 year old kid in the day of modern technology comes up with something simple and original (unless i'm not quite picking up on sarcasm... I still can't decide). I guess it makes sense that no one would bother though as it really won't make a big difference at all. I just think it will be cool to have it there, it will let me hear the "whoosh" of the CAI (or whatever sound a carb makes... I've never driven a carbed car :oops: ). Plus it kind of cleans up the engine bay and gives a nice inlet of cool air... assuming i can block the heat from the header going to the tube that will go from the filter to the carb. It's going to take a lot of work. But what doesn't with this kind of thing? Hell I've spent the last month just cleaning the car up... I'm ready for a fun project haha.

wow thats a really interesting way to do it. Not quite what I'm looking at doing... but still looks very interesting. And mine will be run on the driver's side with a cone filter but this is really cool still... he did a lot more work than I feel is needed, I guess just to use the panel filter, which I don't understand. Anyways my design is starting to come together in my head. It will be quite some time before I get to the point that I will start working on this for real, but it's at least starting to look right in my head. Still trying to figure out what kind of scoop/duct/vent to use on the cowl panel... But I'm pretty sure it should be facing the windshield to take advantage of low-pressure air? or do I want to force-feed it? seems like a mini cowl-induction scoop would be cool, plus that would look awesome right in front of my face while driving. Has anyone seen a good way to mate a 3" tube to a 4bbl air filter housing? I'm thinking I'll just have to find something I can use, or modify a 4 bbl air filter housing... Although I still may go triple carbs, which would mean I'd be running air horns inside a plastic box... But if I do go 4bbl... trying to figure out how to mate the tube to the much larger tube lol.

"I guess I'm on an original thought then... I find that hard to believe."

Biting sarcasm, even when made quite obvious still doesn't work well over the internet. But it is far more entertaining on the delivery end than posting another 'search' thread...

:rolleyes:

"I guess I'm on an original thought then... I find that hard to believe."

Biting sarcasm, even when made quite obvious still doesn't work well over the internet. But it is far more entertaining on the delivery end than posting another 'search' thread...

:rolleyes:

haha well it's tricky to tell, as im sure you have experienced as well! :oops: . Well I did search before I posted... and I could only come up with one person who did it, and it was the previously mentioned VQ swap... So who else has done it?

Is your z currently running? If so, what is your current carb setup? (you mentioned you don't have efi)

Before you get fixated on the sound you might get from a CAI, try going for a ride in either your car or in someone elses that has triples or su's with an opened up airbox. You'd be surprised at the intoxication of some "traditional" setups.

Is your z currently running? If so, what is your current carb setup? (you mentioned you don't have efi)

Before you get fixated on the sound you might get from a CAI, try going for a ride in either your car or in someone elses that has triples or su's with an opened up airbox. You'd be surprised at the intoxication of some "traditional" setups.

Nope, I've never driven a Z. In fact, never ridden in one. I do not want to go efi, I was just saying that I've only ever heard open air intake systems on EFI cars, such as my MINI. I am sure that carbs sound better than efi :).

http://arizonazcar.com/cars.html

One of the last cars on the page has a cowl-induction cold air intake system.

Also, check out Spectre's line of intake plenums. I'm running one of their low-profile hats, and I only paid $70 for it (new) with a little searching on the web.

Yeah I saw that one before (might have been in this thread, can't remember). It's a very sleek set up, no doubt. But a bit different than what I'm planning on.

and thanks for the heads-up on the spectre stuff. I just checked their stuff out, looks promising for sure, and its at the right price. Thank you!

Edited by luseboy