HybridZ

How do I remove my spindle pins?

You sir got very lucky!

I've had them run the entire gammet. Some have been easier than that, and others couldn't be removed with a 20 ton hydraulic press after I got fed up with conventional methods and took it down to the machine shop to pay to have it done. I eventually got it out with a combination of penetrating oil, assorted drills, a rosebud tip on an oxy/acetylene torch, and an air hammer with lots of time and cursing.

After that experience every set of spindle pins I have installed gets an extremely liberal slathering of anti-seize!

From the nightmare experiences I have read concerning this topic (and a friend telling me he would rather pass a 5 lb kidney stone then change another pin)I went straight to the machine shop when it was time. They didn't have any problems removing them and even gave me the undamaged pins back. I wasn't going to reuse them as I had already bought another replacement set. Money well spent IMHO.....

I've pulled spindle pins (both sides) 4 times now in two different cars. Mine were installed with anti-seize and they didn't come out that easily a few years later (when I changed the control arm bushings)... The only time they ever came out that easily was when I had already taken them out, cleaned them up, reapplied anti-seize, and just put them back in - THEN they came back out with a few taps.

Of course I never used a steel hammer, single jack, or sledge on the bare threaded end of a spindle either. That's not to say I didn't hit them, I've just never been a fan of destroying the end of anything threaded if I didn't have to.

Lug nuts are the same size and thread as the ends of the spindle and you can use them in a few different ways. I used a punch to drift the pins out and a lug nut or two to save the threads and end of the spindle. I also found if you can make the spindle spin, you can usually make it drift... Using a impact wrench on the lug nuts installed on one or both ends of the spindle can usually get the spindle turning. Once it starts turning, you have a better chance of punching it out. A time or two, my Son needed to pound on one end of the spindle with the punch while I was applying the impact wrench and turning the spindle on the other end.