HybridZ

northstar v8

warrenp

i bought a 02 caddy with a northstar v8...i think it's a 4.6L..i havn't checked.

i bought the car for scrap, the engine runs well.

i have done a little research, i see there are kits made for fiero's and some people swap them out to other front wheel drive cars.

anyone have experience with these? i'm only considering it because i have it.

any info is greatly appreciated!

I've seen these used in sand rails too. I think there are kits out there to convert to north-south transmissions for rear wheel drive. It's been kicked around on this site for years now but I'm pretty sure no one has bit yet. The motors are impressive, smooth and cool to look at, but it comes down to the cost-to-horse power ratio.

My advice is to sell it to someone who really NEEDS it, and use that money towards an LSx engine. The north stars are cool, but they don't have near the power potential of an lsx, and they are much more problematic. I mean who really thought that a two piece block was a good idea? (they start to leak oil pretty serious after about 100-150k) and when you try to take the heads off, the bolts are usually seized in the aluminum. Better off to let someone who loves them play with them IMO. Or you could be a pioneer!

from what i gather they share the same bolt pattern as a 2.9L v6 chevy, i'm assuming the bell housing from a s10 or camaro would work to convert to rear wheel drive. i think i read somewhere that some people use the 700r4 from camaros and s10's if you prefer an automatic.

i'm only considering it because i have it, but like you guys are saying....is it cost effective?.....well that depends how cheap i can get what i need? although i do see what is available for aftermarket parts. are not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a 02 caddy with a northstar v8...i think it's a 4.6L..i havn't checked.

i bought the car for scrap, the engine runs well.

i have done a little research, i see there are kits made for fiero's and some people swap them out to other front wheel drive cars.

anyone have experience with these? i'm only considering it because i have it.

any info is greatly appreciated!

Yeah it's a 4.6L good motor, I used to have a 00 Cadillac Seville STS and I did some research awhile back when I had the car the engines are called L37 Northstar V8 and have 300hp. For a big car and being wrong wheel drive it got up surprisingly fast, the only downfall is after over 120,000 miles or so the engines are no good. If you got a low mileage Northstar then your in luck but in other forums I read it isn't even rebuild worthy since you can buy a low mileage one fairly cheap. Not much on upgrades Exhaust & intake I have seen custom turbo set ups and also seen very few supercharged ones. Just do some good research and you be able to determine if you want to do something with it or not. You can always find the 4.4L Supercharged Northstar V8 I believe 440+HP on a rwd plateform from the seville STS-V.

Here's a video of a Turbocharged Seville

• 5 months later...

Yeah it's a 4.6L good motor, I used to have a 00 Cadillac Seville STS and I did some research awhile back when I had the car the engines are called L37 Northstar V8 and have 300hp. For a big car and being wrong wheel drive it got up surprisingly fast, the only downfall is after over 120,000 miles or so the engines are no good. If you got a low mileage Northstar then your in luck but in other forums I read it isn't even rebuild worthy since you can buy a low mileage one fairly cheap. Not much on upgrades Exhaust & intake I have seen custom turbo set ups and also seen very few supercharged ones. Just do some good research and you be able to determine if you want to do something with it or not. You can always find the 4.4L Supercharged Northstar V8 I believe 440+HP on a rwd plateform from the seville STS-V.

Here's a video of a Turbocharged Seville

I am building my 240z with a 4.6 DOHC Ford right now and have picked up a Northstar Aurora 4.0L (for my next Z)that was recently rebuilt with inserts etc. I also pick up a set of Vin.#9 cams, springs and big valves. The 4.6's are usually wasted blown head gaskets, heads lifting (due to head bolts pulling the aluminum threads, cracked block and more...The Aurora is basically a 4.6L or 4.4L that hasn't been bored out so I'll be putting in some low compression FORD 4.6L pistons (90.2mm 8.5:1 pistons and the Aurora's are 10:1's w/ 89mm bore)and I have a GT-500 supercharger...And if you want to turbo or supercharge it??? I would get the early 1994 ish intake manifold (solid magnesium outside and take the plasic runners out and put a water to air intercooler?...no plastic outsides and no flapper door on the back (for backfires)...Also if you can find a late 2003 crank (same for all) it's forged steel.

Edited by notheredave

from what i gather they share the same bolt pattern as a 2.9L v6 chevy, i'm assuming the bell housing from a s10 or camaro would work to convert to rear wheel drive. i think i read somewhere that some people use the 700r4 from camaros and s10's if you prefer an automatic.

i'm only considering it because i have it, but like you guys are saying....is it cost effective?.....well that depends how cheap i can get what i need? although i do see what is available for aftermarket parts. are not cheap.

You can run: a Jeep NV1500, AX-15, NV3550, R154, R150,GM MA5, ISUZU AR5, Borg warner 5 speed Ford/Chevy five speed. For the non-Borg Warners use the mid to late 90's Dodge Dakota 4 cyl bellhousing and for the Borg Warners use the V-6 60 degree bellhousing but I would run the world class T5 from a v8.

post-2541-088325700 1337836893_thumb.jpg

post-2541-058147600 1337837223_thumb.jpg

Edited by notheredave

You can run: a Jeep NV1500, AX-15, NV3550, R154, R150,GM MA5, ISUZU AR5, Borg warner 5 speed Ford/Chevy five speed. For the non-Borg Warners use the mid to late 90's Dodge Dakota 4 cyl bellhousing and for the Borg Warners use the V-6 60 degree bellhousing but I would run the world class T5 from a v8.

PS I have schematics...Let me know