HybridZ

Recommend fiberglass hood (S30)?

Bob-omb

Can anyone recommend or offer any feedback on fiberglass S30 hood manufacturers? I'm looking for plain, smooth hood with provisions for factory hinges. I'm somewhat wary of the how prices vary from $240-500, hence my asking.

I'm eyeballin' Beta and classicdatsun.com; both of which are at the top of that range.

It can work with the stock hinges and cetner latch if you add the optional inner frame and make two hinge plates that duplicate the stock plates welded to the OEM hood by Nissan. Go to my web site and go Products > Body Composites > S30 for pictures.

I'm opting for the fiberglass inner frame. I did my homework. Gonna order from Beta tomorrow.

I have the Betamotorsports hood on my race car (and the hatch too), and it is a nice piece for sure. But adding hinge support is a lot of work (I considered doing it). I think you would be better off find a new or used one that has the inner frame and hinge mounts. Just my $0.02.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How do you like your hood

its ok...doesnt fit as well as the stocker but its not bad. I ended up with the framed hood instead of the pin on one so I bolted it up to the hinges like stock. I think the hood springs are too strong so its causing the hood to bow a lil in the center. I spose if I were to pin it on and get rid of the hinges I could get it to sit nicer. I always hear fiberglass takes alot more work to get it to fit right and I knew that going in.

its ok...doesnt fit as well as the stocker but its not bad. I ended up with the framed hood instead of the pin on one so I bolted it up to the hinges like stock. I think the hood springs are too strong so its causing the hood to bow a lil in the center. I spose if I were to pin it on and get rid of the hinges I could get it to sit nicer. I always hear fiberglass takes alot more work to get it to fit right and I knew that going in.

Some of the manufacturers I've looked at have said to remove the torsion springs because it puts too much pressure on the hood and can cause bowing as you described. Keep the hinges but remove the support springs.

Some of the manufacturers I've looked at have said to remove the torsion springs because it puts too much pressure on the hood and can cause bowing as you described. Keep the hinges but remove the support springs.

yup, I did that on my stock hood to clear my intercooler...

I'd really like to either make some lower strength springs or somehow bend these to remove some tension...the whole reason I decided to deal with the weight of hinge/spring assembly was I like having a hood that just stays up when I open it. If/when I decide to pull the tension rods the latch and hinge assembly will likely go with em. With 4 aluminum pins to do the work and some foam on the bottom of the hood so it doesn't scratch the top of the car when set it up there.

Edited by Bigdeezs

Bigdeezs,

Use the broom stick or 2X4 that you use to prop your hatch open to prop your hood open. Did you think it was a coincindence that we have a hatch on both ends of our cars? Mr. K, in his infinite wisdom, knew that this day would come, so he put those little straps in the hatch area just to keep the broom stick from rolling around when you are canyon carving.

Bigdeezs,

Use the broom stick or 2X4 that you use to prop your hatch open to prop your hood open. Did you think it was a coincindence that we have a hatch on both ends of our cars? Mr. K, in his infinite wisdom, knew that this day would come, so he put those little straps in the hatch area just to keep the broom stick from rolling around when you are canyon carving.

:P LOL

I looked on their website and I could only find pictures of it, no real mention of it. I'll have to take a look, but so far the only place I've seen that sells it is on Yahoo Auction Japan, but I'm pretty sure shipping would be KILLER.

If I can't find someone who makes them in the States, I'll buy one while I'm here in Japan so it can get shipped back for free when I end up back in the States one day.

I looked on their website and I could only find pictures of it, no real mention of it. I'll have to take a look, but so far the only place I've seen that sells it is on Yahoo Auction Japan, but I'm pretty sure shipping would be KILLER.

If I can't find someone who makes them in the States, I'll buy one while I'm here in Japan so it can get shipped back for free when I end up back in the States one day.

I dont think they've touched their site in (5+) years. Might call or email them for details?

Ya, kind of wish you hadn't mentioned someone who screws over other good people in the z car community.

Just email John at Reaction Research. His website is old fashioned but he's a 100% honest guy with great customer service. He has both style hoods and others as well. John will treat you right.

Edited by Dan Juday