HybridZ

Finally getting started

I've been reading this forum for over a year now. Finally going to pick up a 78 280 tomorrow morning. It was a project car for my wife and her dad but they quit working on it ten years ago. All the glass is out already, and most body work is done. Her dad claims there's NO rust........lol! We'll see.... I'm wanting to do a full resto mod type deal. I'm already working on a 400+ hp vortec 350 for it. Wish me luck :)

Ps. I'm going to bug the hell out of everyone on here for the next two years or so. I am good at searching first though

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the car today, it seems in pretty good shape, no rust in the spare tire well or battery tray. No rust on kick panels. Got to get the stuff off the floor boards to check there. And I'm too fat to get under to check frame rails. I'll jack it up later. Gonna take off the doors n dash tomorrow. And start removing the bumper brackets, I've heard that's a pretty fun job :). I'll post pics when I learn how lol

Got the dash out today, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, took about an hour. I also dropped the tank. Tomorrow I'll take out the bumper brackets, unless they are required for a rotisserie mount, does everyone use those. Or are there other mounting points?

I'll also start preparing for engine removal, I wanted to hear it run at least once before I gutted it, but I think the injectors are stuck, plugs were bone dry after I tried, the pump was running though

Looks like a clean car. Vortec 350 sounds awesome. Vortec as in a blower, correct? The bumper brackets are child's play. A little bit of heat and a breaker bar, they come off... With the heads of the bolts. 2 of the bolt heads sheared off when I tried to get the bolts undone. Anyways looks like a clean shell, you'll get to work on the fun stuff straight away since you don't have too much rust to take care of.

Not a vortec blower, a chevy 350 with vortec heads. They have limitations but are good heads. I might go rotisserie so may keep the bumper things for now. Gotta pull the l28 and tranny next. This is the first resto I've ever done, but have learned a lot on here. After I strip it, if it's as clean as I think it is, it should be so much easier

Not a vortec blower, a chevy 350 with vortec heads. They have limitations but are good heads. I might go rotisserie so may keep the bumper things for now. Gotta pull the l28 and tranny next. This is the first resto I've ever done, but have learned a lot on here. After I strip it, if it's as clean as I think it is, it should be so much easier

Ah I see haha. I got a little excited thinking about a blown 350 in a Z. V8's aren't my thing and I am not familiar with vortec heads, but it definitley sounds cool. And 400+ HP in a sub 3,000 lb car... talk about speed. Funny that you have to pull an L28 out of your car. I can't wait to drop mine in! You're really lucky to have a rotisserie... I wish I had one, that would make a lot of things so much easier. But alas, I am in highschool and I have no money for something like that haha. Anyways, looking forward to seeing how your car turns out! What does your wife think of the whole thing?

I'll be pulling the motor and tranny this week though, so if anyone wants it let me know

I assume it's the original 1978 N47 head / N42 block engine and the original early-style 5 speed? If it has a later ZX 5 speed, I would be interested. I'm looking for a spare.

That setup, even original, is still a nice swap for somebody, if the engine is in decent shape. It's a few more horses in a 240Z. Take car with the wiring harness and EFI parts and someone will take it.

p.s. If you're giving them away I would take them just to add to my spare parts collection.

Edited by NewZed

Not sure of specifics. I tried to start it, it turned over good but no fire. I'd assume the injectors are clogged since it's sat for a few years. Not sure about the tranny, what's the shift pattern?I could figure out if it's a five speed. I think it's a four

The shift pattern is the typical 5 speed pattern, 5th is up and to the right, reverse is right below it. 5 speeds were standard equipment in 1978 if you got a manual transmission, although a 4 speed might have been a factory option.

Keep them dry so they don't rust up and someone will find a use for them.

I got the motor/tranny out. Started cleaning up the engine bay. Then pulled all the wiring, kinda scary. It's almost completely stripped, I still have to get the sound deadening stuff off, then the undercoating. Then I can start on the body work. Hopefully have it painted by this summer