HybridZ

I have a dilemma!

afbrian13

I will preface this question with the idea that I know its my decision, blah blah blah.

The reason I'm asking is because nobody knows z cars inside and out better than the people on the forum, and nobody has a soft spot for them like those on this forum-and I value the opinion of you guys on here. With that said...

I have a dilemma.

I have a 76 280z, currently running, driving with a stock 81 motor lots of miles but fires right up. Not rusted, but has some dents and dings, newer front body work. Needs a bit of love before paint. Inside is stripped down to minimum needed to drive, but I have most of the stuff already. I've parted out a couple cars, and have most of the parts. Currently my nice weather DD. I have a Superduty and Routan also, so its not like its our only ride.

I've had the Z for about 6 years through different engines, periods of sitting, thoughts of selling, 3 kids and a wife, and keep coming back to keeping it. I'm really trying to not make this an emotional decision, but I think its just part of the deal. (I grew up in a Z, my kids have helped work on it-my 3year old helped me bleed the clutch alright. they fight over who gets to ride "In Daddy's race car") I know that in the next couple years I'm going to have to move for work, and can't take all this extra stuff with me (military)However we've decided that no matter whats going on I'm going to have a car, preferably a fun one.

I'm right at the point of dumping more time, $$ and effort into the Z. Got the bushing kit, ready to buy the suspension, have my buddy lined up to help with the body etc, so I need to decide where I go with this. I find myself talking about my Z like a bad girlfriend-she abuses me but I just keep coming back for more.

I've been thinking of selling the car and everything that goes with it. A friend of mine wants to make me a deal on a 2000 A6, twin turbo, 6 speed, AWD, loaded. Chipped, a few other mods, spare turbos, set of wheels, etc-a good deal for that car. It is fun to drive, but very refined-thats good and bad. If I had my druthers I'd buy it for a DD, and go nuts with the Z. Only problem is financially its one or the other. It would be nice to have a car that is newer, safer (I hear about this one from friends, but not the wife), backseat (I know-the thought hurts) and get rid of ALL THIS Z STUFF TAKING UP ROOM!

If I elect to buy the A6 and sell the Z, I would gain a garage and shed worth of space, the time of not working on it, and a pretty nice ride.

If I keep the Z I could spend 1/2 the $$ (shocks/springs/bushings, garage body work, some wiring is noth that expensive), put the rest towards bills. Logically I think I'm trying to talk myself into selling the z-but not doing a good job of it.

I think even though I've talked it through at home( my wife understands and is completely behind me either way-but I do know she doesn't really care for the Z and likes the A6-whatever :), with friends, etc.

Typing all this out is helping make up my mind.

I think if I take a couple $$K from what I would have used on the A6 and dedicated it to the Z(instead of scrounging here and there), I would have a pretty nice 280. The main reason its given me problems and been a general P.I.T.A. to me is from trying to be cheap about things. Patching motors together instead of a good rebuild, delaying fixing the interior, so its still drafty, cold, and have boxes of crap sitting around. Generally half-assing things, and knowing how to do it the right way, just not doing it.

A bit of focussed time and $$, start selling all the extra parts laying around, and I could still have my Z.

Sell everything, buy A6, have a nice car ready to roll, but I wonder how long till I get the itch to mod it?

What would you do?

I think I know the logical answer, the emotional answer, and what I'm going forward with.

Thanks for reading, putting up with me, answering questions over the years, and the free therapy session!

Look forward to seeing your thoughts.

Brian

I'd sell the 280z and buy a 240z.

Install all your parts in the Z, sell off the rest and get your garage back. I think the Z cost less to insure, register, maintain, etc.... than the A6. It just costs you time, but you can turn that into good memories with your kids.

You even said, financially its one or the other, and the Z will cost less( unless you do a full resto on it). And if you've had it that long, you will get the itch later on and probably regret selling it.

I'd sell the 280z and buy a 240z.

Install all your parts in the Z, sell off the rest and get your garage back. I think the Z cost less to insure, register, maintain, etc.... than the A6. It just costs you time, but you can turn that into good memories with your kids.

You even said, financially its one or the other, and the Z will cost less( unless you do a full resto on it). And if you've had it that long, you will get the itch later on and probably regret selling it.

Very true. You hit the nail right on the head.

My reasoning is in the pic itself you posted. Who is looking at the other newer Z's, no one. They're looking at that ugly flat black S30! I drive a stock 78 around with dents and holes I can put my fist through.

You may glance at an A6 or the like, but people will almost always stop and tell you some cool story about an old Z.

I drive it just like this minus the bumpers:

280z.jpg

Edited by JSM

I'd have to say it depends. You probably will get more driving time out of the A6, as it's complete, running, and good to go. I consider my Z a lifetime project that I hope I never finish (meaning I will keep coming up with new mods not that it will remain undriveable ;) ). If you are over dreaming up what your car could be, get the A6, it will prob save you alot of money/time/etc. If you want something that you MAKE into what you want it to be, keep the Z.

That being said, I had a similar dilemma a few years back before I got my Z. If all money was equal (and so far it's ending up that way) between my 260 and a new bimmer/370z/etc I know I would not wake up every day and look at a new car the same way and think "that was worth it".

I fully understand your dilemma. I also have a 280Z that my wife won't ride in. It also can't be driven in the winter here because of the corrosive chemicals used to deice the roads whenver it snows. When I only had it and one other car I was fortunate to live in the south where I could use it as a daily driver year round. Here it is another story, though. I have one major advantage, however. I bought an Audi A8L after getting up here so I have the AWD performance sedan for the winter and the toy for the summer. Sell the Z parts you don't need, lower your sights a bit and get a less expensive Audi quattro and keep the Ztoy and just move more slowly on it.

funny you said a8L, my friend has one-nice car! Pretty much I decided that since I have tons of plans for my Z, drove the A6 and then my Z(with no interior, a cobled up exhaust, leaking window seals and all) and had more fun in the Z, I already have a nice truck, the wife has a 2010 van for the kids, I'm keeping the Z. I dropped my daughter at school and even in present condition the kids all think its the coolest thing in the world. My car is by far the oldest in any parking lot on any given day-especially as a daily driver. For the record-I was trying to buy a late 90's a4 with a blown clutch to use as a beater car-rough aint it? Guy decided to keep and fix it though.

I think there are to many intangibles when it comes to an old car. Thanks for the input everyone. I don't think I'm going anywhere. Well, that ratsun site is pretty cool sometimes....