HybridZ

Half-shaft shortening

duragg

Following my R200 install I am pretty sure my driver side Half-shaft is bottomed out.

So I will try to detail how I am fixing that.

Disassembly of the Half-shaft is detailed below.

Remove rubber boot, remove inboard c-clip and cap (has o-ring).

Push the shaft together to expose the internal lock clip area and remove.

post-1894-087631000 1324087977_thumb.jpg

post-1894-050187600 1324087978_thumb.jpg

Pull the inner from the outer and take stock of the balls and shafts.

post-1894-022031500 1324087979_thumb.jpg

post-1894-079847700 1324087979_thumb.jpg

Pull it all apart, get grease everwhere and marvel at the quality of the nearly 40 year old grease and metal.

post-1894-022037200 1324087980_thumb.jpg

I will have to ask, but I supose these ID slots are cut with some type of gear "hobber"? Surprised there are 8 slots but only 4 in use.

post-1894-081573400 1324087980_thumb.jpg

Quite impressive.

I will take these bits to my machine shop friends and let them chuck up in their massive lathe.

I think it will be easiest to just remaching the end cap area 1/2" shorter with the same ring land for the c-clip.

Just recreate the end nipple 1/2" deeper is pretty quick work for a lathe master.

Edited by duragg

Confession:

These images and disassembly were done on a half-shaft I already destroyed changing the u-joints.

New u-joints Half-shafts are coming. I think those u-joints will have to come off too in order to do this job.

If so, a professional driveshaft shop will do that work..

Edited by duragg

Got my new half-shafts today.

Comparing some 1960s vintage 510 shafts Vs 1983 ZX half-shafts... Identical.

All dimensions (lengths and girth) identical. Guess they had big plans for the 510??

510 on the top, ZX on the bottom.

post-1894-055094100 1324347652_thumb.jpg

Removed rubber boot, removed c-clip and retaining ring, pulled inny-from-outy. The salty balls;

post-1894-005878300 1324347654_thumb.jpg

Dropped the part at SuperFinishers so Mikey can have Toney make some "soft-jaws" and turn the end down by 1/2".

The new shaft will have an identical end, just 1/2" shorter.

1/2" should do??? Guess I should research this

post-1894-044225700 1324347653_thumb.jpg

Crap. Anybody notice my unacceptable lathe etiquette that will cost me a 12pack of beer?

Edited by duragg

Yes. Don't leave the key in the chuck and pull the work from it or tighten the chuck to the work. Where are you located in Arizona. I am in Tucson. Your picture shows you sitting in a T6 Aircraft with a F4U in the background. Where was the picture taken? Please advise. Thanks.

Yes I suspect I left the T-bar in the chuck which is a no-no.

Perhaps I can swing by the shop in the morning and remove it before they notice (which means I am only obligated to buy lunch).

Picture is my Yak 50 at KSEE next to "Faceshot" in DM's Corsair (Faceshot from the cool movie "Speed and Angels" for you true gearheads).

The Corsair broke the night before, I fixed it and flew wing on a big photo flight the next day. Email me if you want the supergoodpics.

Tj

5/8" then?

I think we could take .050" off the face of the tip also. Plenty of meat just to secure that c-clip for the retainer.

Spacers;

Rather mill down all the spacers by maybe .060" and still keep them all there?

On second thought. The very outside spacer just cut down by .250".

The others I could zip down .100" with a small ball-end mill and retain the shape.

Thats a good plan.

Edited by duragg

I searched a ton before starting this thread and totally missed this one:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/75098-280z-halfshaft-shortening-for-r200-conversion/page__p__715126__hl__%2Bhalfshaft+%2Bgrease__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=715126

Mike (owner of SF2) said his carbide tooling would blast through that steel. (actually it may be "Gub-ment tooling", but in an election year all is well).

If we are eating up tooling, this is another option.

TJ

I was going to reply ;)

I have tried before with a carbide tool on a lathe but the teeth profile creates some erratic contact that would hit the cutting tool. We basically destroyed the tool after 0.1mm of material removed.

I've cut mine with EMD since it was available to me but a angle grinder with the appropriate wheel would also do the trick. then, you'll have to build the insert from the other thread...

• 2 months later...

The intervention of life and other projects delayed this project.

I decided to use a wire EDM here in town to remove .650" from the shaft. I will weld on the tab.

Need to find that nasty grease for the balls and spacers (and probably shorten the plastic spacers a bit).

post-1894-025378400 1331572620_thumb.jpg

Edited by duragg

Anybody notice my unacceptable lathe etiquette that will cost me a 12pack of beer?

In college I ran the machine shop at night. So many people did this and jumped belts off of the lathes that I welded springs to all of the keys.

By welding the shaft, you'll "destroy" the hardness of the material if you don't quench it afterwards; even by doing so, you'll degrade material properties.

You might end up with the balls brinelling the shaft resulting in creating some shaft play (= clunk noise)

I don't know how bad you'll hurt the material but you need to take this into consideration. That's why I've drilled mine (shaft's core is not hardened) & build an insert.

Edited by Lazeum

By welding the shaft, you'll "destroy" the hardness of the material if you don't quench it afterwards; even by doing so, you'll degrade material properties.

You might end up with the balls brinelling the shaft resulting in creating some shaft play (= clunk noise)

I don't know how bad you'll hurt the material but you need to take this into consideration. That's why I've drilled mine (shaft's core is not hardened) & build an insert.

How much welding are we talking about here? I haven't done any testing, but I'd imagine that a couple tacks with a mig on the center of the cut end of the shaft isn't going to change the temper of the shaft outside of the HAZ in any meaningful way. Those balls aren't actively trying to come off of the end of the shaft, so you don't need a whole lot of weld to hold the thing together.

• 3 weeks later...

Dribbling progress....

Half shaft is done. Gotta get that grease and put it all back together and bang it in (maybe this weekend).

post-1894-023519100 1333125822_thumb.jpg

Machine shop that didn't said "nah that material isn't hardened. Its just good material. You wouldn't want it hardened or it would be too brittle".

Regardless. its done and will last as long as I need it to.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I should have measured before making a short halfshaft.

The stock 240z halfshaft was not binding, in fact if had room to go in another 1/4". The newly cut and builtup half-shaft is verging on too short with 1/4" spare travel at max droop.

I have pictures but they are rather embarrasing actually. Shorty half-shaft available to a good home.

Switched to a different half-shaft anyways for newer u-joints.