HybridZ

height issues resolved with this system

I think it has promise....

I talked to the guy, he is putting this system on Lambos, NSX, and GT-r cars currently.... opinions.....It is from Umbrella Auto Sport, it is their Variable Ride Height suspension system.

Edited by texis30O

Yeah that was more like the fan type, just showing off the function. Or possibly part of a new dub step music video. Showed zero of the supposedly dramatically unconventional components of the system.

Also, how does changing the ride height not affect the handling whatsoever?

I'm more of a set it and forget it kinda guy...

I thought the system was interesting. It goes on the existing coil over system that the car has. I thought it was cool in the fact that you can have coil overs set and get the ride height adjustable from in the cab. I talked to him today. No way I would spend what he wants for it. I don't get how it would not effect the coil over performance. However he says that the system is inactive and goes back to the ride height set by the coilovers.

A lot of supercars have a similar system for getting over speedbumps installed by factory.

Don't know how this is engineered though, if it relies on gravity it wouldn't really be good for your handling. My guess is a vaccum to hold it down, and a pressure to activate it. If it stays down no matter how much battering you give your car in turns and rough surfaces it would actually be a great product. Doesn't say anything about that though on his website... It's a good idea, since getting over high speedhumps is a challenge in a lowered car and it is incorporateable with existing quality coil overs. Looks like a bit of work and fabricating to get it to fit our Z's, but would like to know results and how it works if anybody installs it.

umbrella2.jpg

I think the main difference is that, unlike airbags, the lifting mechanism doesn't provide the main spring component of the suspension. Like others have said, it seems to be for raising a lowered car for speed humps, etc.

I think the main difference is that, unlike airbags, the lifting mechanism doesn't provide the main spring component of the suspension. Like others have said, it seems to be for raising a lowered car for speed humps, etc.

I have a WRX wagon I drive in the winter, if this would let me raise it up for the few days where there's deep snow on the roads and leave it low the rest of the time I'd be psyched.

Looks like the top hat can expand and contract independently of whatever spring is under it so it's almost like threading the perch up and down on adjustable height coilovers on the fly. I would suspect you set the ride as low as you want it for normal driving, since the target audience is for lowriders with speedbump woes, and then pneumatically expand the top hat temporarily to clear something, then lower it back to the bottom so that the system is unloaded most of the time.

There's nothing wrong with riding on air all the time as long as it's built strong enough for that, however it would dampen the springs some, plus you'd hate to have the pump running constantly it there's a tiny leak down. Even if it's a pneumatically operated hydraulic ram with a lockout, there will still inevitably be some leak down, but at least it wouldn't be compressible like a purely pneumatic ram would.