HybridZ

Differential Identification... R200

Lost Soul

So I got a deal from a friend who was dismantling someones 300ZX. He thinks it's from a 1985 NA but I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows which year this is from and whether it's a good fit for my 77 280Z or what it'll fit on. I have a R200 in my Z now but I'm looking for a better gear ratio. I'm doubting it's actually going to fit, from what I've read on the great write ups but not 100% sure what it'll fit on.

The gear ratio is 3.7:1 and half shafts with the 6 bolt companion flange on the wheel side. The gear oil was pretty black but surprisingly had no metal in it. Teeth on the ring gear look pretty clean on the wear side. Really smooth movement spinning the companion flange on the yoke.

At any rate, if anyone knows what this setup will work on, it would be most appreciated.

photo-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

you will need a 280z yoke and 280z side stub axles to bolt in with an s30 halfshaft. If you plan on going cv axles, it wont work with those cv's. You will need Turbo 4 bolt cv axles. It will fit as long as you use the 280z r200 mustache bar. No mods to Drivehsaft or anything else. Like I said use 280z yoke and stub axles.

The 77 has an R200 with mustache bar. Stock ratio would be 3.54. The 85 300ZX should have 3.7 gears. All that's needed is to swap the pinion flange from the 77 to the 85, pop the stub axles out of the 77, pop them into the 85, and bolt it in. The hardest part will probably be getting the pinion nut off.

Cool, thanks for all the good information.

I have an R200 already installed on my 280z now, so If I just swap the companion flange from my 280Z, that's great it'll work out. I have all the tools and a lift at the shop so no biggie pulling that pinion nut off.

As for the stub axles, the 300Z has a 29 spline, not sure what my current R200 on the 280Z has. I was under it earlier today and there was a 4 bolt flange on my current 280Z diff that connects it to the half shafts. Does that connect into the diff with a C clip like the 300ZX and current CV Axles?