HybridZ

4g63/240Z

In 2009, I felt the need for a street/strip/and track car build. I wanted something light, powerful and good handling. It would also be nice for it to be a cool classic. I went to the local import repair place and told the owner what I was up to. He said he had just the thing for me. He took me to the corner of the shop and showed me a 1972 240z rolling chassis he said, "$420 and you borrow my trailer to get it home." I said SOLD!!! The car was a started project partially sand blasted and a really bad floor replacement job, but it had a few goodies with it. Well, for the next year or so I just couldn't get started on it the car went from storage place to storage place and to the street for multiple times for sale. The car's was nickname was "The Orphan." Then at the end of 2010, I was finally able to use a corner of the shop that I work for to work on the car. It was just what i needed to get going on the project. (more to post later)

post-19941-061215500 1327170718_thumb.jpg

post-19941-024522400 1327171640_thumb.jpg

post-19941-053523300 1327172889_thumb.jpg

Edited by ckrell

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rear RCA (weld on) The car is being lowered 3". The Front LCA pivot is moved up 2" and rear out control arm pivot is lowered 1 3/4" (thats all I could go with 14" wheels) to help roll centers, The car will be flat bottomed the lowest part will be the rocker seams

post-19941-019535900 1328191096_thumb.jpg

post-19941-057424100 1328191137_thumb.jpg

post-19941-007916400 1328210229_thumb.jpg

Edited by ckrell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there something special in using the BMW M3 rack? This is a first seen for myself. Very interested. Which model Datsun is this going into? Is it a Variable Assist Rack? Please advise. Thanks.

First the rack needs to be a front steer type. The inner tierod distance on the M3 rack is about 24 1/2" and the S30(72 240z)LCA pivots are about 23 3/4 These two number need the same or close. Some would say there close enough but I moved the LCA pivots out .300" pre side and then shortend the control arms .300" per side(there adjustable)to reduce the chance of bumpsteer I belive there are 3 types from the mid 90s two from sedans 3.5 & 3 turns lock to lock and the Z3 rack is 2.5 lock to lock they will interchange mine is the 3 turn. Also mine is a 1995 variable rack

Can you post some more info on the brake setup? I've thus far been unable to find a blank Wilwood hat, to be drilled for a 4 bolt, in the correct offset. I think the setup you have is amazing, and would like to duplicate it, but probably using the full 11.75" rotors, and adding .5" vertical offset to the caliper mount (if possible).

I would also like to see some pictures of the brackets that you built (are they done?) for the rear. If I could get the correct hats in the correct offset, what would be the chances of me slipping you a couple greenbacks and having you machine a set of brackets for the rears? PM me to keep from diluting your thread if you'd like.

Josey