HybridZ

Bonks Stereo 2.0

wrcbonk

The last major "while its torn apart and I am there" project for my S30 for a while, a 4 channel amp and speakers. I already installed the MSA box with two Polk Mobile Monitor 6x9s. I was using a nice 2-channel amp that handled the 6x9s well (the amp is for sale cheap if any one wants it). The sound was ok, but as you know all the sound was coming from the back. I wanted more balance so I bought the front kick panels from Derek, http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/96446-kick-panel-speaker-mounts-now-available/ and found a pair of Polk DXi 5 1/4 spearkers from Crutchfield on sale.

I wanted to take all the power supply off the stock harness. I shopped forever and finally found a good deal on the new ultra compact Punch 4-channel amp from RockfordFosgate. Its good for 300 Watts RMS. Figured that would be enough for a small cab like the S30.

My palete below:

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

I had a piece of Lexan I grabbed out of a bin at TAP Plastic in Sacramento, just happened to fit without cutting. I highly recommend Lexan for these projects, its inert, doesn't conduct well, and is easy to drill through. I used the old bushings I pulled off the sway bar to support the amp rack. Drilled holes and held the bushings in with JB weld. I made a couple quick braces out of angle and BadaBing.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143-1.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Then came the speakers. I found the full length kick panels will fit with a lot of wrangling. I decided to cut them down to make install easier. I mounted the relays and flasher using a combination of existing holes and drilling tapping the rest. On the passenger side I used the black plug at the bottom to anchor that side down. The Drivers side is held is fine without using the stock plug.

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0150-1.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152-1.jpg

The mess before the test.

IMG_0161.jpg

It sounds great. I am running the Fade at 2+ the front, but I am hoping after I read more about the settings on the amp more I will be able to set it to have lower frequencies going to the 6x9s and more mids and highs to the front 5 1/4s.

Hope that was helpful.

• 8 months later...