HybridZ

260z NJ Emissions test

MkS30

Here it is from te NJ MVC form:

Historic registration may be assigned to an antique vehicle which is at least twentyfive (25) years old. The vehicle must be owned as a collector’s item and used solely for exhibition or educational purposes.
Please note that the vehicle cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way and must be equipped for 
legal operation on New Jersey roadways. Historic registration must be renewed every three (3) years, but there will be nofee for the renewal.

You also have to submit two photos of the car. One profile shot and one of the front.

Here's a PDF guide, with example good/bad photos: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/historic-samples.pdf

I don't have a front bumper which will apparently disqualify you, so I grabbed some pics from autotrader of a yellow 280z. There are LS powered Zs getting these dumb "cannot be altered in any way" plates. Since they don't apparently check the engine bay, I'm going to attempt to register next week. I have a feeling it is a very subjective qualification, it probably depends on who you meet at the MVC counter. But since I have excellent photos of a stock 280z, I don't think I'll have problems.

You are over thinking it. Just go apply for the historic plates already!

I figured as much. I just finished painting it w/ primer (lol), but it looks way better than before.

Here it is from te NJ MVC form:

You also have to submit two photos of the car. One profile shot and one of the front.

Here's a PDF guide, with example good/bad photos: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/historic-samples.pdf

I don't have a front bumper which will apparently disqualify you, so I grabbed some pics from autotrader of a yellow 280z. There are LS powered Zs getting these dumb "cannot be altered in any way" plates. Since they don't apparently check the engine bay, I'm going to attempt to register next week. I have a feeling it is a very subjective qualification, it probably depends on who you meet at the MVC counter. But since I have excellent photos of a stock 280z, I don't think I'll have problems.

Looks like they only care if it's complete and "original." I've got most, if not all the parts to make it look right, so I'll throw em on, snap some pics, and file for plates.

Can't wait to actually drive a Z. I've had a Z since 2007, still haven't driven one on the road.

Glad I live mass. Even though we have the strictness emission standards any car older than 1995 (non obd-II) do not have to pass emissions.

Hahaha! Where did you inherit those standards? I in CA you're snogging back to 76... If it was 95 here, my red truck would be registered!

Good to see I occasionally say something worthwhile or otherwise inspirational!

Edited by Tony D

I figured as much. I just finished painting it w/ primer (lol), but it looks way better than before.

Looks like they only care if it's complete and "original." I've got most, if not all the parts to make it look right, so I'll throw em on, snap some pics, and file for plates.

Can't wait to actually drive a Z. I've had a Z since 2007, still haven't driven one on the road.

I haven't gotten to drive mine much, no major events. Especially since I moved to NJ I haven't. I'm kinda nervous about all this NJ traffic as well. It feels like there's an accident on my way to work 3 or 4 times a week.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Well I put on a few trim pieces and took some pics. Should be fine. Still have to get the title in my name (although I bought the car nearly 4 years ago, oops), and then I'll need insurance and registration. Tie up some loose ends, get some new tires, and I'll be on the road! Hopefully, anyway.

I haven't gotten to drive mine much, no major events. Especially since I moved to NJ I haven't. I'm kinda nervous about all this NJ traffic as well. It feels like there's an accident on my way to work 3 or 4 times a week.

Where are you? Traffic isn't that bad where I'm at. I used to do 35 miles each way going to school, and never had much issue with traffic. I'm not commuting in the Z anyway, so I'm not worried.

post-1709-0-37499600-1367714061_thumb.jpg

post-1709-0-51211600-1367714115_thumb.jpg