HybridZ

260z NJ Emissions test

MkS30

So my Z has been sitting in the garage as I got carbs and a header for it. ( the carbs were FILLED with varnish and the header was cracked.) I'm going to have it inspected in a few weeks and I have no idea what to expect. Is it just an idle test for older cars? I.E. the 260z. Any input or experience would be great. Also anyone who has tricks for passing the test! Thank you Hybrid Z community!

-Matt K

... Oh yeah, here's a pic of the car ;D post-23423-054751600 1328209726_thumb.jpg

Edited by MkS30

Clean car! I had some difficulty getting my 240 to pass. If I were you I'd get QQ historic plates. It's pretty easy and you are emissions exempt.

I was going to get the QQ plates! But this is gonna be my daily, and it seems that you can only drive the car for "exhibition" reasons if you have the QQ plates :C

Do you have the QQ plates on your car? Or just the regular flavored ones? :o

I had QQ's on my 240 for most of the time I had it on the road. Unlike collector car plates, there is no hard mileage limit. I daily drove it for around 3 years with no issues with the police. Even when I got pulled over they didn't ask about the plates or anything.

I had QQ's on my 240 for most of the time I had it on the road. Unlike collector car plates, there is no hard mileage limit. I daily drove it for around 3 years with no issues with the police. Even when I got pulled over they didn't ask about the plates or anything.

Hmm, my dad has historic plates on his Charger, and apparently he has a 1000 mile limit per year. Are there two types of QQ plates? From what he tells me, there isn't a QQ plate without a limitation. Or can/do ins. companies put in their own limitations (I don't know if his ins. co. did or not). I've looked this up before, but it was still kind of vague.

I really know nothing about this, but next year my BMW (which doesn't pass inspection, lol) will be qualified for QQ plates. I'd love to get them as long as I can drive it whenever, with no limitations.

Edited by rturbo 930

Per the MVC website.

Historic vehicles

General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:

At least 25 years old

Specially registered and display QQ plates

Collector vehicles

To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:

Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"

Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year

Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"

To qualify for an exemption:

Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew

Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading

You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle

I have QQ's for my 71, and while I didn't get a chance to drive it daily this summer before starting my big tear down, I never got anything other than smiles and thumbs-up from the police. I'd imagine it falls very much into that "if you're not a ****, they're not going to bother you" category. And yes, I live in Jersey. Mt. Olive/Roxbury area, but I drive a lot between here and Hackettstown/Great Meadows (if you know where Island Raceway is, that's near Hackettstown).

The insurance company doesn't care how it's plated. They only care that it's used the way your paying for. i.e. if you had collectors insurance which is much cheaper, then they don't want you daily driving it. If you just have regular insurance, your insurance company doesn't care if you have QQ plates on it.

If they are putting a mileage limit on you then you should be paying substantially less than normal rates.

The insurance company doesn't care how it's plated. They only care that it's used the way your paying for. i.e. if you had collectors insurance which is much cheaper, then they don't want you daily driving it. If you just have regular insurance, your insurance company doesn't care if you have QQ plates on it.

If they are putting a mileage limit on you then you should be paying substantially less than normal rates.

I use Hagerty, and I believe the limit is something like 3,000 miles a year, but I could be mis-remembering. It's like $150/year for coverage...and this is NJ. Land of the worlds highest auto insurance rates.

• 2 months later...

Saw this z on craigslist, its a nice z! Once I get the z running hopefully it will have classic insurance. Alot of people say they pay $150 a year but I dont see that happening for me lol. I hear great things on hagerty.

Hey thanks dude! Someone from the forum is actually coming to look at it this weekend. Hopefully it will sell, and this guy sounds like the buyer. :o

• 1 year later...

Bumping this. Looking to finally get my Z on the road, which, of course, means plates. The dilemma? Historic tags, or regular tags. I don't want regular tags as I really doubt my Z will pass with my modified L28, which leaves historic tags. I would think there would be standards for what condition the car is in, but are there? My Z looks kinda like... well, total shit lol. The interior is completely gutted, and it's a few different colors, although I'm gonna paint the doors, which are currently black primer, so that they don't stick out as much.

This is more or less what it looks like, but I'm gonna get some silver spray paint to make it look a bit less a piece of shit. The other side isn't as bad. (BTW - since when can't I use photobucket/img tags to post pics on here? wtf?)

Anyway, think I'll be able to get historic tags for my Z, or will they shoot me down? Maybe I'm overthinking this?

post-1709-0-88537900-1367688748_thumb.jpg