HybridZ

GC Coilovers unanswered questions.

I sectioned my struts for Ground Control coilovers and was left with unanswered questions, but Gabe at TTT sent me this drawing to clarify all of my questions. He first told me to drill the stock rubber upper strut mount from 12mm to 15mm. The notch wasnt really important so you will be left with a circular 15mm. He then told me to use washers because the upper mount will expose the un-threaded part of the tokiko struts, so I used washers to fill the rest so the top nut has something to squezze/ sit on. Then you are done. I hope this helps some of you guys as I didnt find this info online.

post-10151-066217700 1329332000_thumb.jpg

post-10151-096224900 1329332321_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Did you do the same thing on the rear? The rear has no bearing so there is nothing for it to squeeze. But my rear upper rubber isolator fits over the d shaped threaded portion of the strut. Should I just bolt the rubber oem mount on the top of the strut then put the 2 big washers below?

Did you do the same thing on the rear? The rear has no bearing so there is nothing for it to squeeze. But my rear upper rubber isolator fits over the d shaped threaded portion of the strut. Should I just bolt the rubber oem mount on the top of the strut then put the 2 big washers below?

No, I just bolted it up, since it was a 240z strut it fit like you said over d shape. I think I did put one washer or none at all. I forgot, but ill let you know when I see my car this weekend.

cool! The GC coilovers are amazing. I am sure you will like them on your Z. It was a big difference in handling and a nice drop on the car.

Can I ask what sort of drop you can expect with GC Coilovers? I am looking to purchase them but I am unsure if they will give a good enough drop as I am running 15inch wheels

I'm like 3-3.5 inches from floor pans with 14" rims with 6inch sleeves adjusted to almost mid point.

With Tokico Illumina struts? Sounds fairly low, dont suppose you have a picture of the ride height? Im just about to go down the GC route with Tokico Illumina struts, and I am on 15inch wheels but was worried that I wouldnt be able to get it low enough. Not a fan of my current arch gap situation!

Yes, with tokico illumina. Bz3099. Yes, I do have pictures, I'll try to post them up this week. One with 17" and the other with 14" at same sleeve coil setting. I think ground control can get you low enough, but of you want the frame rail scraping, hellaflush low look then the guys doing that run civic coilovers, but GC can get you low.

Yes, with tokico illumina. Bz3099. Yes, I do have pictures, I'll try to post them up this week. One with 17" and the other with 14" at same sleeve coil setting. I think ground control can get you low enough, but of you want the frame rail scraping, hellaflush low look then the guys doing that run civic coilovers, but GC can get you low.

Im not really going for the hellaflush look, although im not against it would make it quite impractical. Im just looking to get rid of some arch gap. So it looks like I need to track down a set of BZ3099's then.

Would be good to still see some pictures of yours though, as I may be looking at going down the 17inch route later on