HybridZ

Advice: I wanted to give my title away from my wrecked car

JSM

I saved all the VIN plates and cut out the VIN from the firewall on my wrecked 73 just in case I needed it. Well that was 4 years ago and I've not found a clean shell myself.

Anyway, I have no idea why I'm compelled to do this but someone is need of a title. He has a clean 240z but no title. I was going to sell it to him, but kind of feel like just giving it to him.

Thoughts???

"I was just trying to help not do anything illegal."

Take them to the DMV as a package and tell them the car was destroyed (cut up into parts and scrapped)---I know several people who have done this, it legally removes the VIN from the public record and ceases any and all liability you have for the vehicle.

If they decide they want to charge you for the privilege, leave the parts on the counter and walk away. It's their problem at that point. They are obligated to do the administrative deregistration of the vehicle after being notified of it's status.

what I would have done would have been to either give it to him or sell it to him (for cash) without posting it on a public forum for all the world to see, and then vigorously deny an allegation that I had given or sold it to him.

Problem with that is unless the vehicle is out of your name, you're still liable for it.

I know people who did not complete the red 'transfer of liability' (and some who did!) who got nailed for costs relating to accidents when the guy they sold their car to up to TWO YEARS BEFORE because they never transferred the title (and for that matter never got the car registered!)

Yeah, they ignored the registration notices that showed up as 'big government mistakes' or may have given them to the guy saying "they sent this to me by mistake."

Nah, wasn't a mistake. You still own the car until that title has been transferred to the other party, and that transfer has been registered with the state.

Somewhere, someone is listed as titleholder or owner. If it's you, think long and hard about cavalier dismissal of what may happen should your friendly, goodnatured gesture hangs you out by your testicles.

Spoken as someone who saved parts from a trash bin, only to be charge with stealing them. No good deed goes unpunished. Transfer the vehicle properly and legally get it out of your name. VIN transfer without a vehicle is a federal crime. They frown on it in a big way.