HybridZ

full bluetooth sytem

bthomp

Anyone have any kind of idea how the leaf is designed with its wireless a/c. If not, any ideas how to turn the 240s a/c into a wireless system?

Was thinking about electric arms that move back and forth the mechanical ones on the system and putting a Bluetooth system on that. Making a custom dashboard with for the car as well.

Most cars now-a-days have electronic dash buttons, if not full LCDs. It's "easy" if the controls are electronic. There's another whole layer of complexity if you have to physically move the mechanisms yourself. Especially dumb ones like on the Z that require quite a bit of torque.

Yes the Nissan Leaf over in Euro. I'm working on this already crazy build for my brother, still in design mode. But anyways, the reason for wireless is because he wants to be able to control everything with a pad, the sound, hard top(yes a hard top for the 240), a/c. just everything he possibly can. Any idea how those LCD systems work? His company does nothing but wireless communication for just about everything..., so i am sure if we could get an LCD system in there, he could get someway to transfer that data to some kind of pad.

Ill look up Vintage Air later today after I get done my classes.

Hey, I'm just the builder. He told me what he wanted and I'm just trying to figure everything out, whats possible and whats just not reasonable or possible with what we have.

Do some research on guys that have put PC's in their cars. You will want a complete mini computer in the car. Use wireless pad to control that computer, then wire all the inputs and outputs you need directly to the mini computer. Think wireless home entertainment system, controlled from one pad. Most of the wireless, pad, touch screen software drivers already exsist. Might have to go RF instead of Bluetooth, but who cares. I/O is easy as well, once you know were to look, think motion control and linear actuators.

If I had to guess, total system cost to automate all the functions you are talking about would be about $7 to 8K in parts, then integration on top of that. Cost is relative, and depends on the designers creativity.

Modern Nissan and other touch screen driven cars use a CAN bus system to control all the functions in the car. In Nissan lingo, the mini computer i mentioned above is the Body Control Unit (BCU). It interfaces with all the other ECUs in the car including the engine computer. It also controls most of the relays that will power whatever mechanical interfaces you want.

You are basically going to have to replicate and install a CAN system on the car. Got luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate arduino's. Way to slow, but for most applications and shields that offer they work great.

Raspberry Pi?

25 dollars and easily more powerful that any onboard computer included in any car today. If you were great programmer you could just put a central touch screen ala the new McLaren hidden under the center console arm-rest. Use the freed up space for cup holders and other necessary features.