HybridZ

13B Turbo build

evangregory

i know i should have started this a while ago, back when i had a 350 sitting in my engine bay actually, but i've taken a little too much time away from the forums to get a build thread started, so now that im about to end the begining of my new motor (S4 13b turbo) i figure its time to start the build thread.

so i bought the car in june of 2011 for 1200 dollars and have purchased several parts for a 350sbc swap that following summer, which i never got around to installing... well, sort of, i just ran into some road blocks with a twisted front frame and not being able to source the right transmission... whatever on that its in the past.

so in lou of not being able to find a transmission in my budge (under2k) i came across my friend who sold my Camaro selling a freshly rebuilt 13b from his 88 rx7 turbo II for 2 grand with transmission ecu and clutch assembly. i hopped on it after envying my rotarded friends and the amount of power per dollar. i got myself a freshly cleaned and rebuilt inside and out series 4 13b with a garret t3/t4 60 trim turbo, s5 hot side, street ported block, 3mm apex seals, turbo tranny, and stage 3 clutch/pressure plate and all teh included running gear.

in my days of part ordering in the summer i got myself an s&w racing 8 point roll cage that i just got welded and modified by a great shop in rochester called the little speed shop in coordination with JR Fitzy Fabrication (the man who built the ekstons bmw track car and several porsches for the PCCA at the glen). he's currently in the midst of assembling my some motor mounts and boxing in my front frame rails for rigidity.

im picking the car up wednesday and will be reassembling the motor inside the engine bay the following week and letting the parts flow in and the money flow out untill i'm satisfied. on my list is a fuel cell (10-12gal) with electric fuel pump and lines, etc... rx7 gage cluster mounted to the stearing column with a dash delete, some nice comfy racing seats (hopefully sparco evo's) with 5 point harness, and whatever spring/shock set up i decide on.

i'm low on pictures at the moment but will post what i have in the following posts. please give me some input and feedback, and definately subscribe. i'm hoping to take this car big places being what i believe will be the only 13b turbo 240z on the roads, and i've already gotten sponsership with the little speed shop as the company begins to grow. i know that Auxilary tried in the past and failed to complete, but im hoping for some strange reason i will have good luck with this build (like that ever happens).

Ask aux, but I do believe there's at least one other 13b turbo S30 on the road, not sure if it's a 240z exactly, but that's kind of one in the same in my book.

Best of luck though, keep us updated for sure. Take lots of pics, which is hard to do with greasy hands, so have a camera man (or woman preferably) on hand.

Yea I know, I never said he did. I said I do believe there's at least one, never said that was aux.

I said ask aux because he knows who's done it, who's started, and who's finished for the most part. He's very up on all this rotary in z car stuff. I've talked to him several times in person about it as he comes to my yearly BBQ. He sold his setup I believe, and if I'm not mistake it's now running in a S30 somewhere. But I do believe there was another completed, or near completed rotary S30 somewhere else too.

hahah thats actually the video that inspired me to do this. its already setup for the fender exhaust like that too haha. anyway ive gotten a lot of work done and have all the build pics from when my car was in the shop ready to post so here comes a lot...

Some pics of the Cage

20120222123907989.jpg

2012022212395476.jpg

20120222124130834.jpg

2012022212414676.jpg

The first test fit at the garage

20120222133406793.jpg

20120222133927219.jpg

20120222134829977.jpg

Some Various parts

20120221215336143.jpg

20120301183138168.jpg

The motor installed with the new mounts

201203012221254.jpg

2012030213513146.jpg

20120302135140585.jpg

Got some assembly started on the motor itself last night

2012030720352172.jpg

2012030720555550.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it actually took no fab work for the tranny. it fit right in the hole and even lines up with the stock datsun transmission cross member, just need to put a spacer in there. and yeah, the motor mounts on the sides should hold down the tqs a little better than the front mount housing. btw, i have a lot more pictures to post up, but i've been a little slow on the work because the 13b has maimed me and i've been going through surgery and physical therapy. sharp corner on the block caught my hand when it slipped off of the wrench and i got 3 stitches on my knuckle and a lacerated tendon. 4 stitches to reconnect my tendon a couple weeks ago. anyway, ill update some pics tomorrow of the transmission, fuel cell, removed dash, and the rest of the engine assembly. I actually have a volvo intercooler that is front mounted at the moment and im going to run that in series into the 13b top mount with a slanted radiator and a front mount oil cooler so i can run the braided lines through my grill :D

• 1 year later...

Nice build, I suggest the highest strength race polyurethane mounts you can get for your setup, its what im running on my FD. These engines run so smooth that you could practically run solid mounts with little vibration, you won't regret it. Also, I don't know if you have one already but if you can swing it, I very highly suggest getting a lightened flywheel, it makes a world of difference with acceleration with these engines.

Sorry about your hand as well. Almost the same thing happened to me a few years back on an s4 block, almost lost the tip of my left index finger at the first bend when the engine slid out of my hands.

Who's going to be tuning your car by the way?