HybridZ

Speedi Sleeve

madkaw

Anyone used a Speedi sleeve on their crank? I plan on having a Speedi sleeve on hand when I pull my motor to find my oil leak(which is more likely the rear main).

I guess I was hoping someone had made this repair and would let me know what size sleeve you used and how it worked out for you. I would think the size would be the same for all L6 motors.

As I type this I just remembered I have my original p-30 sitting in my barn which still has the crank sitting in there-soooo I guess I could measure myself, if I trust my mics :) -I still will put this thread out there for others and possible feedback.

I've used them for years. In fact I've misapplied them to repair vacuum pumps and liquid ring pumps as well!

I don't recall now if the instructions call for it, but I've installed them with Loctite RC608 cylindrical parts locker with great effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I need a little help here. I want to order a Speedi sleeve for my engine and I don't have mics big enough to measure the end of my crank. I checked the FSM, but no luck there either. If someone can measure for me I would appreciate it!!

#24 here has some numbers - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/57510-powerforce-harmonic-damper-install/page__st__20

I searched "damper pulley fit" just to see what was out there. Worth a look.

Edit - Post #34 is even better, with an actual measurement. Of course, after reading the thread, you'll realize that yours will not be exactly the same.

Edited by NewZed

Thanks for the reply, but I should have stated that this was for the rear main seal. I will look thru the thread but appears this is relevant to the front snout area. I need the OD of the crank where the flywheel mounts.

A 4 or 6" Digital Caliper from Harbor Freight is handy as hell for these instances. And cheap too!

Failing an actual dimension, if you have the rear main seal, you can take it to most bearing houses and they will match the sleeve for the designed diameter. But having actual diameter helps. There is a speedy sleeve (metric) that fits it exactly. Don't forget your Loctite RC608 while you're in there!

Good Luck in your quest!

I know it would be nice to have a 6" dial calipers. but I don't. I need to buy a cheapo set at harbor frieght as stated. I have gotten by without forever and my small collection of smaller OD mics have gotten me by.

Harbor frieght is an hour away, so if someone could help me out it would be appreciated. I am trying to get this taken care while I am home for spring break with my son. Someone is loaning me their engine hoist and I don't want to have it for longer than need be.

Guess who happens to have a "trophy" consisting of a snapped crank, a pair of these cheap HF calipers Tony alludes to, and a camera all within reach of his laptop?

This guy! :D

Looks like 3.150 inches to me. No idea what the tolerance on these sub $10 calipers are though. Their precision seems to be just fine, but I don't know about the accuracy. The last digit shifted from a 0 to a 1 as I snapped the pic. The designed measurement is probably 80.0 mm.

Sorry for the cell phone quality. The real camera was across the room and I was feeling lazy.

photo17.jpg

edit:

A quick google on their accuracy turns up a few guys that have measured them against standards and found the advertised accuracy (+/- 0.001") to be within spec.

Edited by cockerstar

I might ask while you have your trophy out , to measure for the depth of the flange , also, if you can determine how deep the flywheel sits on the flange. I want to make sure the Speedi sleeve is the proper depth and does not interfere with the flywheel mounting.

Thanks

Tsk, tsk. All of these facts in the first post and you could have had all of the answers in post #2.

You might be able to derive it using the measurement given and the photo. Take the ratio. You'll have to estimate the camera viewing angle. You can even see where the seal rode.

Tsk, tsk. All of these facts in the first post and you could have had all of the answers in post #2.

You might be able to derive it using the measurement given and the photo. Take the ratio. You'll have to estimate the camera viewing angle. You can even see where the seal rode.

I have no idea what your saying

I also get 3.150" for the diameter.

The distance from the flywheel mating surface to the end of the 3.150" section is 1.140".

The distance to the inner seal wear line is 0.970".

The distance to the outer seal wear line is 0.520".

The seal is 0.5" wide.

Pete, thanks so much for the measurements. I went to the Speedi Sleeve site and this is what I came up with according to your info

According to this page http://www.skf.com/files/344136.pdf item 99315 seems to be the correct choice for our shaft-does anyone agree or disagree?

From RockAuto ( I included the front dimensions as well for future reference):

1971 NISSAN 240Z 2.4L L6 : Engine : Crankshaft Repair Sleeve Wiki

TIMKEN Part # KWK99189 Min Shaft Dia: 1.887"; Max Shaft Dia: 1.893"; Installation Depth: 0.984"; Width on Shaft: 0.551"; Overall Sleeve Width: 0.668"; Flange Dia: 2.205"; Sleeve Material: Steel Optional; Front

National Part # 99315 Redi-Sleeve; Shaft Size Min=3.146", Shaft Size Max=3.153", Width=0.827", Overall Width=0.945", Flange Outer Diameter=3.543", Installation Depth=1.375" Rear

Not the same brand, but dimensions should be similar.

Sam