HybridZ

Where can I get this shifter??

I searched "gated shifter" cuz I was remebering this thread...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/63274-round-2-anyone-want-cnc-parts/page__fromsearch__1

Along with the other search results it looks like this would have to be a one off and would be kinda silly in our S30 cars because of the short shift throw due to the shifter location in the console.

I know I was sure bummed when I found out it was going nowhere. :(

You could make one or maybe buy one of those gates of Ebay. but our trannies have rubber shift lever bushings meaning that the shifter has a little play to the lever, in addition to the play in the linkage. Most likely you'd be fighting the gate much more than you'd like, but once you got user to it, like anything the gate shifting would be second nature. The other question about a gate like that is would it allow enough room in the bottom of the gate for your gears to fully shift. The last thing you want is not fully engaged gears. That would be asking for trouble.

In the current edition of Kit Car Builder (April 2012) there is an article on Hank Held's Velo Rossa (written by our buddy, and creator of the VR, John Washington).

Hanks car has a swapped in VG30DETT and the tranny that came with the motor. Very clearly seen in the photo of the interior is a gated shifter.

So it would seem that at least one Nissan Z tranny has been successfully adapted to the gated shifter treatment.

EDIT EDIT EDIT!! Wait, I needed to read the article more closely. John clearly states, "The transmission is a stock Nissan 300ZX unit with a Counterforce dual-material clutch and aftermarket shifter". Sorry folks.

Edited by Dan Juday

The gated shifter thing is cool, but what I've been thinking of doing is making a shifter well cover. A company by the name of craven speed makes one for mini coopers (I DD a mini atm and used to mod it so I heard about it). Here's a pic:

post-22866-051777700 1332636839_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how it would look in a Z seeing as how big the shifter well is. So I may get a redline goods shift boot instead, but this would be kinda cool. I think it would be doable. I wouldn't use foam like the cravenspeed has, but rather a plastic disk sitting on top of the actual cover. I'm having a tough time visualizing it to be honest, but I will see what happens with it. Any thoughts?

Maybe I'm the only one in the camp that doesn't really like the gated shifter. Granted, I've never used on personally, I just think they LOOK difficult to use. I'm use being able to slam the shifter from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. Most cars once you get use to the angle of pressure required you almost feel like you're pressing straight up with just that twinge of side pressure and it snaps over as you go up. I've always thought that gated shifters look like they'd be hard to shift quickly like that with.

I'm also in the camp that just laugh at most muscle car drivers that seem to take ages to shift. Does any have first hand experience with gated shifters and have an opinion on them slowing down their shifts under "racing" conditions?