HybridZ

Turn Signal Trouble

I am having some trouble with my 1972 240 Z. It is more of an annoyance than a big deal and I'm feeling pretty stupid about it. The right directional signal works perfectly, front ,rear, and indicator on the dash. The emergency flashers work perfectly, front. rear, and both indicators on the dash. The left indicator on the other hand works in the rear, but not the front or the dash. It just seems really weird.

While we are at it in order to save space on the forum, my car has the engine and transmission from a 280. Mostly it works well, but the gears grind when I shift into reverse, should I bleed the master or slave cylinder?

Thanks,

I am pretty wet behind the ears, I bought this car for something to enjoy and learn from.

Anything would help,

Thanks,

Dwight

Welcome to HybridZ. I saw this yesterday and it stumped me so I didn't post anything hoping someone else might have an answer for you. From what you have posted, I'd have to believe there is something wrong with the actual turn signal switch. If the hazards flash all lights, the bulbs, wiring and flasher unit are all working.

If you don't have the FSM yet, you should get one here http://xenons30.com/reference.html. It might help you with this problem, but will surely come in handy over the course of Z ownership.

Yes, I would bleed the clutch system.

Good luck!

Yeah What tthodhunter said... It's the Turn signal switch on the column. There's a writeup on here somewhere about rebuilding your switch. it's really not that tough if you're handy. Basically, there's some metal tabs that the bearings slide on that bend over time and lose connection. At least that's what I remember from the 280Z multi switch. I can't imagine the 240Z switch should be that different. Pull it off and open it up and it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. As Ttod said, the manual could really help too. The fact that your hazards work means that the wiring from the blinker module to the lights should be all fine. So really it's got to be the multi switch. Just becareful tho, 40year old plastic may be weak.

Phar

I would check the junction box under the dash where the dash harness connects to the engine harness. The rear turn signal lamps have their own ground so are effectively on their own circuit, the indicator lamp in the dash and the front turn signal lamp share a ground so any break in the connection between the gauge and the front lamp will cause both not to function but leave the rear lamp unaffected.

I'm pretty sure the rear lamp branches off from the indicator lamp in the dash right before the junction box so it would be logical that there is a break somewhere from the junction box forwards, I'd check the connections in the junction box first.

If you are going to own a 240Z you might as well buy a couple of T/S Headlight combo switches, learn how to repair them (search), and have them on-the-shelf because this is a common/recurring problem. I have a set of repaired spares handy so I can just swap them out when the T/S stops working. My turn signals have stopped working multiple times over ten years and it has always been the T/S-Headlight combo switch. Usually, the contacts inside the switch need to have the carbon/corrosion cleaned off. Also, the copper contact cradle part of the T/S switch becomes slightly bent from pushing on the T/S lever over time. That copper cradle sometimes just needs to be tweaked slightly to get theT/S lights to work. The headlight switch has similar problems.

Also, a member here at HybridZ named Dave provides a T/S Headlight switch repair service. He also sells a headlight relay harness that takes the load off of the headlight switch and provides brighter headlights. Takes about 20 minutes to install and your electrical system will thank you. Motor Sports Auto (MSA) sells Dave's harness or you can order it from him.

Do a search as there are some good tutorials on T/S switch repair.

Edited by Miles

While I haven't experienced the problem you experienced, most of us on this board are well familiar with the combo switch. That would be the first place to start. Then check the ground Morbias mentioned. Almost guarantee the problem is in one of those two.