HybridZ

Removable steering wheels

galderdi

This is my experience regarding a removable steering wheel adaptor. I think it is important information as it could potentially save lives. But do your own research as my experience was only with one particular brand.

Recently I changed my seat to an aftermarket sport seat. The new seat has very high sides. Combined with my height (I am 6 foot 4 inches) I was finding it extremely difficult to get in and out of the car. The difficulty was getting my legs past the steering wheel.

So I decided to buy a removable steering wheel adaptor. I purchased the type that uses balls and sockets to lock the wheel in place. I chose one that was a well known brand and it used 8 balls, 2 more balls than many of the other adaptors available. With the adaptor in my hands before fitting it seemed very solid and I did not anticipate any safety issues. I spent a bit of time fitting it only to find it could not handle event the slightest amount of twisting. Any slight pulling or pushing on one side of the wheel and it just pops and allows the wheel to spin. The twisting motion seems to force the lock/release ring to move toward the driver allowing the balls to release.

It is new, I have not modified the adaptor in any way, there are no obstructions and it is fitted as intended. It is possible the lock mechanism wasn't 100% engaged. But I was checking for this while it was installed and it was extremely close to the correct position. There might have been a 0.04 inch gap. In other words the lock ring was 0.04 inches from its intended position. Keep in mind this ring is moved every time the wheel is released and locked again so I believe it is impossible to guarantee the elimination of that sort of gap each time the wheel is put back on.

I believe this poses a serious safety risk so I immediately removed the adaptor. I have ordered another style which does not use balls. This one has a rather coarse spline which to me seems more sensible. So even if the lock comes lose the wheel would need to be pulled an inch toward the driver before it would stop controlling the car. I will post an update once I have given the new one a go.

I am keen to hear any other similar experiences.

I used to have a NRG brand one. I got it for the same reasons, I had trouble getting into and out of my car with my sparco seat. I never had any problems for a year while I was DDing the car. Never popped out and always locked.

My issue was that it actually cramped up my arms by moving the wheel closer to me. That's why I didn't like it. So I sold it.

By comparison, one of my friends had an NRG on his scion xb and it broke it 4 months. My other friend has had an Ebay special quick release on his 240sx for like 3 years now no issues. Honestly seems like a crap shoot to me, but that's just my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased and installed another removable adaptor. This one uses spline so I have much more confidence. It feels very strong and secure. IT has the added bonus of being recessed into the existing BOSS adaptor so it ends up being about 1/3 the depth of the other sort. This means my steering wheel is in a much more acceptable position for my long arms. My only slight complaint is the horn mechanism but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m327/greg_280z_BRE/Steering%20adaptor/?action=view&current=steeringadaptor.jpg

Edited by galderdi

I got mine on Ebay. I am in Australia as is the seller so I'm not sure if that would help but let me know if you still want it. The item was manufactured in Asia somewhere so I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the USA imports the same item.

The seller is hambarr0

Out of curiosity -- are you not using it because of how forward I hear it forcibly locates the steering wheel? I've been attempting to research good solutions for this as well, but it seems to be tricky to achieve both quick release and ability to comfortably steer the vehicle.

I honestly have not driven the car with it yet. The reason I haven't used it is because I have a vintage racemark wood steering wheel that I like the look better. The wheel that I have on the grant kit is a standard grant leather wheel.

Closer to the driver -- and from my research, by a pretty darn large margin from stock. 2" hub adapter + 1-2" quick release adapter, so 3-4" total closer than stock.

Keep in mind that the stock wheel has some dish to it, maybe 2" or so. My Momo wheel is the same distance away from me as the stock wheel was. Depending on the dish of the wheel you're using, the quick release may add only 1-2".

• 3 weeks later...

When I first installed the quick release I was forced to disconnect my horn because it was permanently on whenever the battery was connected. At the time I didn't have time to check out the issue. Yesterday I took the quick release back off and checked the cause of the issue. It turns out there was not enough clearance between the back of the quick release and the end of the steering column (the threaded part). The wire for the horn protrudes out the back of the quick release, when I bolted it all together the wire got pinched between the quick release and the steering column. It was pinched so bad it actually cut the wire entirely and earthed it to the steering column in the process.

So I removed the quick release, used a grinder to cut a groove from the centre hole off to the side to ensure the wire would not get pinched again. Another tip here is to keep the sides of the groove rather steep so it holds the wire in place while you put it all back together.

All fixed now :)

• 8 months later...