HybridZ

Is the 280ZX NA Tranny the same as the 280Z 5 speed tranny?

dpuma8

I have a 240sx transmission and a T-5 transmission from a 280ZX turbo. I would like to do the 240sx transmission swap to the L28et I have but I realized after pulling my T-5 that the bellhousing is 2 pieces and isn't the ideal one for the swap.

I have been looking on craigslist for 4 months now and I don't see any 5 speed transmissions for a 280Z. I do however see NA 280ZX transmissions often.

Is the NA 280ZX transmission the same as the 280Z 5 speed? Can I machine the 280ZX bellhousing so I can get the 240SX transmission in?

The 280z 5spd trans gearing is different, Otherwise you can swap either ZX or Z 5spds. Search for early 5spd or late ZX 5spd. You should find threads that show the different gearing between the two 5spds.

Which one you choose also may depend on, what setup you want to run. Turbo engine, N/a engine, and Rear Diff Gearing.

I think that he's just looking for a Z or ZX front case to do the 240SX swap. The ZX will work fine, even better than an old 4 speed because the reverse switch is in the right spot. Kind of a shame to waste the good gearing on a late ZX 5 speed though.

Edited by NewZed

• 4 weeks later...

I can't see any problems with using the zx bell housing. The only external differences between the N/A zx tranny and the 280z 5 speed are the shifter ears and the rear mounting ear(s). As far as I know, the bellhousing is almost exactly the same. I think the clutch fork and slave mounting points may be a bit different, but I'm not sure. It is a shame to see a ZX trans wasted. I have a 280z 5 speed trans that I just picked up the other day for 80 bucks. I wanted a 280zx trans but decided I will make do with the 280z for now. Later on I will get a t5 or do what you're doing; the 240sx trans.

• 2 weeks later...

The 280zxt T5 will not work for this swap. The case is completely different and cannot be used as you've found.

The difference in the NA transmissions is negligible as far as the swap is concerned, feel free to use any NA 280zx bell housing. There is no difference in any of the clutch slave cylinder mounting.

A bit off the op's topic here are the differences between an early 5spd and late:

Different ratio's for 77-79, 80, and 81-83

79 and earlier 5spds have a Porsche servo style 5th gear synchro, while 80 and up have a borg warner cone type synchro.

81-83 boxes are identifiable by only 1 ear where the exhaust mount is.

early 5 speeds and late 5 speeds have the speedo cog locking slot cut into the cog body 180* apart from each other.

The speedo cog mounting hole is 180* out on the housing to match the new cog body.

81-83 5speeds have taller shifter mounting ears making the use of short throw shifters easier.

81-83 boxes were intended to be used with 3.70 or 3.90 diffs. Earlier boxes are intended to be used with 3.54's.