HybridZ

Ignition and Dome Light

So I have just a few wiring problems with my 240z I could use some help with:

1. I need a new ground wire for my ignition, my current ground wire is frayed beyond belief (just upgraded to the Pertronix ignition).

2. I just put in a new 60-amp alternator and heard that it will destroy the stock wiring pretty quickly, is this true or should I worry about it?

3. I am planning on upgrading many of the lighting to LED's, could somebody who has done this leave a quick synopsis of what you did (part numbers, if new wiring was needed, if you needed resistors, etc...)

Lastly, I started on step three by purchasing the LED Dome Light Upgrade from MSA. Though I bought the upgrade specifically for the 1970-1973 240z, 1973 is the car I have, the pieces I received were too large for the dome light. When I asked MSA if they had sent me the wrong part they said, "No, it just takes some moving around to fit." Well I tried every possible placement and either the upgrade would fit and I wouldn't be able to press the light on or the LED's would not fit. Has any one else attempted this upgrade and, if so, how did you do it?

The dimensions are a 35x35mm square with a festoon attachment, it is a 4x4 grid of LED nodes. I am now even more confused because in my research I stumbled upon a post by Mezzz, on classiczcars, who claims he got the same upgrade from MSA but his fit perfectly and looked like this:

post-27768-060638000 1333587205_thumb.jpg

NewZed: Thanks for the info, I had heard it somewhere but I just wanted to be sure. I guess I have nothing to worry about.

ZT-R: When you finish your install, if you are able to, please leave a fairly detailed description on how you made everything fit correctly. I have been monkeying around with the thing recently and still have not had any success. If I cannot get it to work properly in a few days I will probably return the part and get a new LED festoon bulb from superbrightleds.com instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Found the solution to the dome light from MSA, it is not as simple as they claim the install is.

Steps:

1. Remove the dome light entirely from its location (disconnect the wires and remove the entire console)

2. Completely disassemble into the three basic pieces, a black box, a lens cover and the metal siding for the lens

3. Take out the old festoon style bulb from the metal prongs

4. take a pair of metal cutters, angled works best, and clip the unnecessary metal off of the prongs (the metal overhanging from where the bulb sits)

*Be careful, the prongs are held on by small rivets, I broke one on accident and it was a pain to replace*

5. Reassemble the entire console and insert the new LED bulb and attachment, it should sit loosely but will be able to be pushed in fully

*There is a plus and minus side to the bulb and the prongs, though not at all marked, if it does not turn on at first flip the points on the festoon node*

I will try to upload some pictures.