HybridZ

Run Headers out front fender?

Slammed Z

I think SCCA Solo rules require that the exhaust exit behind the driver. I currently have side exit under the fender (temporary) while I'm waiting to see if some headers get made and delivered. The LS2 burns so clean, I haven't had any fumes issues at all - I love it. But, it is very loud at mid to high rpm or even at low rpm with a little engine load like climbing a hill. The rear exit exhaust fumes on a Z are so bad, that I may have a warped perspective. Maybe I'm out of smell calibration because my triple side drafts on my L24 had to be jetted so rich??

On the picture I'm posting, you'll have to zoom in and play with the angle of your screen to see the exhaust - it is in shadow in the photo.

post-5903-060320800 1336934960_thumb.jpg

I don't know about other states but cutouts are illegal in California.

Are they? CVC section to reference?

Other than they are HUGE and hard to fit in an already cramped Z-Underside...

Cutouts are NOT 'illegal in California', it's operation without a muffler that is the technical violation. Herewith, I direct your attention to Subparagraph c:

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

( b ) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

c ) The provisions of subdivision ( b )shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

As long as you are using the car for racing, you CAN have a cutout on the car! And notice if you get your "local governmental authority having jurisdiction" to issue a permit, you can have one as well!!!

Edited by Tony D

And remember, lack of a "muffler" DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean compliance failure, it specifically references SAE J1169 as the testing methodology, and a 95dBa limit. If you run a straight pipe, and don't make more than 95 dba when tested according to this standard....guess what? You don't NEED a "muffler" then! In that case, your pipes constitute an "adequate muffler"! (Turbo Anybody?)

One that particularly upsets me more is the disregard for the prohibition of side-exhausts 2-11 feet from grade. I can't count how many jacked-up hillbillies in diesels now have side exhausts just about 3 feet off the ground to pump their overfueled penis-compensator exhaust right into the open window of my S30...

Edited by Tony D

One that particularly upsets me more is the disregard for the prohibition of side-exhausts 2-11 feet from grade. I can't count how many jacked-up hillbillies in diesels now have side exhausts just about 3 feet off the ground to pump their overfueled penis-compensator exhaust right into the open window of my S30...

You'd think they could at least burn biodiesel.... :blink: