HybridZ

Stuck Welded Diff?

seattlejester

So I recently welded my differential. During the entire process I checked and double checked that the axles would keep turning and such.

So today, I went out to paint the casing when I found that turning the axles (where the half shafts mount) won't durn the input shaft (where the driveshaft mounts). Like I grab both of the axles and turn them both in the same direction and it won't move. But if I grab the input shaft (where the drive shaft connects) I can spin it with a few fingers in either direction, and both axles move.

Before and while I was welding I could turn the pumpkin by turning the output shafts.

I can't fathom a reason why this is happening. There's no grinding or anything, it just locks when you try to turn the axles, but spins freely with the drive shaft.

Anyone know what's going on?

because race car

YES!!!!!!

You will get tired of that welded diff though. Hope its not a project you plan on pushing around the shop :lol:

The welded rear isnt THAT bad. I have one in my 280. It does chirp around corners, and will eat tires faster, but it will give you traction!

Edited by SUNNY Z

• 11 months later...

YES!!!!!!

You will get tired of that welded diff though. Hope its not a project you plan on pushing around the shop laugh.gif

The welded rear isnt THAT bad. I have one in my 280. It does chirp around corners, and will eat tires faster, but it will give you traction!

Never drive when the road is wet with a wielded diff. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really old thread, I didn't know it was still open...but I just want to clear some things up now that I have some miles on it for posterity.

I welded my diff for slightly better traction on corner exits (track) and general parking situations. If you take a turn and one of your wheels aren't quite loaded an open diff will spin quite a bit of the power away, I also have an open diff on my daily and I've been caught with one wheel spinning in loose gravel or coming off the ground (really bad driveways). I used to deliver where I would have to park in grass or off the side of the road on gravel so I wanted just a little bit of help. I had a friend at the same job who was  stranded for 1/2 an hour in the rain at night without cell reception waiting for someone passing by to help push his car out onto tarmac.

Car really isn't too difficult to push, just have to aim for really gradual turns :). And it really is good for parking, if you are at enough of an angle your car doesn't even want to roll down hill...even if you want it to...

Yes welded diffs do indeed chirp on turns, it even clunks if you are going real slow and there is a definite wear pattern on the rear tires. That's why you get tires with mileage warranties :D.

At the time I really did not have much money, I paid $50 for the diff and welding it was preferable to being stranded on the side of the road some times.

I do agree, it does wear on you, and after trying autocross, which I enjoy more than tracking, quick transitions are really destroyed when your rear wheels want to go straight. Keep in mind for long winding roads it is excellent price/performance. I am looking into an LSD, but if I was to wait for the LSD the car would never have been on the road (it has been for the past 5 months).

And really a welded diff is not that bad in the rain. Granted it's not safer than the alternatives, but it is not like you have 0 traction. Only one wheel is slipping slightly so as long as you are aware it is not a problem. I do concede you do have to think a little more, but I think that adds to the experience, keeps you focused on driving.

Conclusion: If I honestly really look at it, I did it because I kind of wanted to. I had a welder and I figured it was another skill I could add to my repertoire. I had spare diffs so if it was horrible I could swap them out fairly easily. The justifications for doing it is pretty weak (since I have yet to track the car on a course, nor have I taken deliveries with the car), but I haven't encountered much of the down fall other than annoyance. I may sing a different tune when I install the welded diff and find out it is much easier to turn the steering wheel, I blow a half shaft, or I spin out into a pole, but for me it has not been too bad.

/thread