HybridZ

How can I remove CV from Diff?

tamo3

Hi,

I'm having hard time to figure out how to remove CV from R200 diff. When I remove Diff from z31, right side of CV popped out easily. However, left side of diff is hard.

I don't want to damage CV, so I've been careful about not to messing up.

Since CV is connected, I can't use puller.

Does anyone know easy way to remove CV from Diff?

Thanks,

tamo3

I use either a wood splitting wedge or a cold chisel (or is it coal chisel?) (which is basically a small wedge). I insert the wedge between the axle and the differential case and tap it in until the axle releases. A lot easier for me than prying-I can't find a place to fulcrum the pry bar or screwdriver.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Hi RebekahsZ,

I did not have time to working on diff this week. Since i have only one screw long enough driver and want to get wedge or a cold chisel that you suggested. That's sound easier.

I worked Xenon Airdam installation at lunch break.

post-25175-030486700 1336169932_thumb.jpg

Oh, and I got 3.9 final gear too.

post-25175-031705700 1336170249_thumb.jpg post-25175-089448200 1336170277_thumb.jpg

Will try work on diff over the weekend.

Thanks,

tamo3

No, definitely not the same 10 tooth pinion. The pitch of the gear will be different because the ring gear has fewer teeth. You really don't want to swap gears even from one 3.90 to another 3.90 if you can avoid it.

The ring and pinion can be swapped from one housing to the other, but you need the ring AND the pinion. Much easier to swap the LSD to the 3.90 housing if you still have it.

I just saw a 3.70 CLSD se on eBay for $300. Of course that was the morning after. Damn sleep! Why do we need it?

I took some photos of the chisel technique. Put the chisel between the axle and the case. Strike the chisel with a straight blow to get it started out, then strike the chisel with a glancing blow to pop it all the way out. Try to catch it so you don't goof up the splines when it hits the concrete. Pictures posted out of order.

post-5903-036153700 1336282494_thumb.jpg

post-5903-098778400 1336282508_thumb.jpg

post-5903-026848900 1336282524_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Congrats for gettign 3.70 CLSD for good price!

I tried using two screwdrivers to pull out CV Axis, but it did not work.

Then I used flat prybar with angle side.

Using the principle of the lever, CV Axis came off without banging hammer much. How easy it was...

Wrapped CV axis and put it into storage for now.

I got rest of 3.9 R200 as JMortensen recommended. Man, I paid $50 for the fial ring and $90 for the leftover staff. Since I clean up final gear ring, the marker is gone, Pick 'N Pull won't let me get refund...

I should've got entire pumpkin at the first place.