HybridZ

Horn operation, post steering wheel removal & reinstallation.

Every time I pull my steering wheel (been fixing/refinishing my dashboard), my horn stops working after I reinstall it, but eventually starts working again after a few months. I can't find anything specific on it in the service manual. However it looks like there's a contact that glides around the hub surface. As far as I can tell it's still making contact, but horn function is intermittent at best.

Is there a trick to getting to work again right away? I haven't had much luck, and I need it to pass an inspection in the near future . . .

Thanks!

It could be that when your installing the steering wheel your pinching or position it so the wires aren't contacting correctly.

This used to happen to me when I would remove my steering wheel, then a week later or after riding down a really bumpy road it would start working again.

"However it looks like there's a contact that glides around the hub surface."

Recheck the contact. You may need to tweek it slightly for it to make consistant contact. Just make small changes until it works.