HybridZ

Insulating floors/etc for sound and heat?? Best method/mater

Looking for info/experience on best method to insulate/soundproof my new floors and other body panels? Not to anxious to glue dynamat to my new floors but if it's the best stuff then out comes the heat gun, my floors are galvanized anyhow but just want to hear other s feedback, as well as a quick source (Summit?) so buy it as time is short.

Thanks in advance...

I hear that the dynamat is really good stuff.

I used duplicolor truck bed coating then a

layer or 3/8 dense insulation. It seems to work pretty good but the flowmaster's resonate very bad and i cant muffle that

out...

• 6 years later...

Digging up an old post, but my floors get pretty hot with a BBC up front.

Currently my floors are bare steel. I considered wrapping my entire dual 3" exhaust with header wrap, but worry that it won't last with all the street driving I do.

I am looking at carpet kits right now, but wanted to see if there is anything I can lay down under the/before the carpet to heat insulate the floors.

I am not really interested in sound insulation, just heat. Plus, lighter the better.

I am using a product called RAMmat from Rick in Utah (great guy). It is a Dynamat like product (only less expensive) COMBINED with 2 layers 1/4" dense foam that is glued over the Dynamat. The idea is the Dynamat like product takes away the buzz of the bare metal and the foam kills the low fequency tire and exhaust noise. The folks who are worried about weight won't like it (probably 40-60 pounds), but for me and what I plan to use my car for, he told me it will feel like a bank vault and that is what I want. I got enough to do my car 2x over for about $250 and I am working from a bare shell, so that is from the firewall to the rear lights, inside the doors and behind all the panels. His product was listed as "best buy" in very exhaustive test that looked at adheasion, smell, sound canceling, ect. I have not gotten to the point of driving it yet, but so far I am impressed.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I have used the ceramic heat insulator type lizard skin and it seems to work fairly well. It's also not as heavy as dynamat. Although, I cant say it was a complete test since I only used it on one spot where I cut out part of the spare tire well. The down side is it is expensive. You don't need the spray gun they sell with it if you don't mind it coming out coarse. I used a roller and it looks like undercoating, but much harder. I am planning on putting it in the doors, but I haven't gotten around to try it out yet. For the doors I was going to try out eastwoods undercoat sprayer and see how that worked.

I would second what het976 says. Although I haven't installed my stuff yet I did a ton of research and came up with the same conclusions. Rick was a great guy to deal with ant the price was great.

Derek

I am using a product called RAMmat from Rick in Utah (great guy). It is a Dynamat like product (only less expensive) COMBINED with 2 layers 1/4" dense foam that is glued over the Dynamat. The idea is the Dynamat like product takes away the buzz of the bare metal and the foam kills the low fequency tire and exhaust noise. The folks who are worried about weight won't like it (probably 40-60 pounds), but for me and what I plan to use my car for, he told me it will feel like a bank vault and that is what I want. I got enough to do my car 2x over for about $250 and I am working from a bare shell, so that is from the firewall to the rear lights, inside the doors and behind all the panels. His product was listed as "best buy" in very exhaustive test that looked at adheasion, smell, sound canceling, ect. I have not gotten to the point of driving it yet, but so far I am impressed.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi