HybridZ

1978 280z will not run unless floored

My 280z will only run if hold it to the floor and it will only be at like 1200 rpms and if you let off and it dies it will not crank back up and after trying and trying it backfires REALLY LOUD and blows a puff of smoke and still wont crank. My gas tank has just been re-done and it ran fine for awhile (good enough for yard driving) but then i went out to crank it and it did that so i waited a few days and it did the same thing. PLEASE HELP.

Sounds like an air problem?

Since the car will only run with the pedal floored, this means the throttle body MUST stay wide open to get enough air for combustion.

First, I'd check for vacuum leaks. Then I'd investigate the air flow meter, as these are often the weakest link of the equation.

Google: "Datsun Efi bible" if you haven't read it already, I feel this will make you 100% more confident in regards to the Bosch injection system.

Best of luck!

Actually sounds like the opposite to me. Sounds like low fuel pressure. Low flow = engine barely running. This is also supported by the fact you just serviced the fuel tank. I would replace the fuel filter (hopefully with a clear window one) and see if it works after that. The window will allow you to see if it's clogging up again. DO NOT run w/o a fuel filter, or you're asking for clogged injectors. What all did you do to the fuel tank? Crap in the tank or loose paint will muck things up quick. Best to have it boiled at a radiator shop. Yes do check that your AFM flap isn't stuck too. but I think it's your fuel filters. 280z's have two filters, one back by the pump and one up front on the fender before it goes to the fuel rail.

Phar

maybe not all cars have the rear filter. the few I've had, have had them. an inline before the pump and another just after the hard lines before the engine. (in my 280z's, the 260 I had and my 240 both only have one filter.) In anycase. He said the car runs if it's floored. Is it belching black smoke? that would certainly show it's too rich, and be an air problem. No smoke at all, I would think it's not getting enough fuel. Could be the cold start injector is stuck open.

Another test you can do is to get starting fluid , clamp off the fuel line and start it off the fluid. if it runs well while spraying that in, then it's probably not the air flow. if not then it could be your AFM.

Since you just had the gas tank out, like I said before, I'd suspect it has to do with that.