HybridZ

RB26 Swap in 280z (Cali)

TheCrazySwede

Dear HybridZ,

I wish to conduct an RB26 swap in my 1977 280z. The only problem is that I live in the state of Commiefornia. Is it possible to get smog equipment on a Non-US Manufactured Engine and pass inspection/smog in the state of CA? I want to preserve the mileage on my stock engine, but since the 280 is my Daily-Driver, I wanted a new engine to fuel the car along.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by TheCrazySwede

Is it possible to get smog equipment on a Non-US Manufactured Engine and pass inspection/smog in the state of CA?

No. And no to any of your follow-up questions while still including the RB26, RB25, RB20, S20, SR20DET, etc.

From my understanding, to keep smog legal status you are only allowed to swap in engines that are:

1. From the same year or newer as the vehicle they are going into

2. Come from a donor car that is California emission approved, so no federal motors (even L28's) are allowed

3. You have to use the smog equipment that was originally installed on the donor engine.

I recommend researching what is allowed and not allowed, regarding engine swaps, as part of your planning.

RB26, RB25, RB20, S20, SR20DET, to name a few, never came in any vehicle sold in the US.

Besides the L28, below are a few good choices, but there are others:

1. 7M-GTE (Supra)

2. 2JZ-GTE (Supra)

3. LT1 (Camaro/Corvette)

4. LS1 (Camaro/Corvette)

5. VQ35DE (350Z)

Use the search function on the forum and do some research. You should be able to find most of the info you need.

Edited by Hybrid240z

A KA24DE makes almost identical hp/tq numbers as an L28 and are a dime a dozen each, plus they take well to moderate boost levels.

Regarding the Rb series and SR series, I know enough people that are running them in S13's and have "passed" smog through a "friend". You could probably get away with it, but you'd need to register and smog the car first, then every 2 years worry about having to do it illegally again.

Per BAR changes effective 1/1/2013 its going to get much more difficult to get these non-compliant cars passed. Every smog station and technician will be monitored for "Enhanced Deviation Rate" covering seven major test areas and an additional "Follow-Up Pass/Fail Rate." If the stations and/or technicians numbers are +/-10% of the statewide averages on any of the measures they will get audited. BAR is even monitoring things like tests that are started then cancelled, tests that take took long or are not long enough, testing time of day, etc.

Per BAR changes effective 1/1/2013 its going to get much more difficult to get these non-compliant cars passed. Every smog station and technician will be monitored for "Enhanced Deviation Rate" covering seven major test areas and an additional "Follow-Up Pass/Fail Rate." If the stations and/or technicians numbers are +/-10% of the statewide averages on any of the measures they will get audited. BAR is even monitoring things like tests that are started then cancelled, tests that take took long or are not long enough, testing time of day, etc.

All the reasons why technicians like myself are considering taking up other avenues of employment and letting our smog licenses expire. The law is not setup to really go after the cars, but the technicians preforming the smog tests and all the responsibility is laid on them. We just do not get paid enough for that responsibility flat rate or hourly. Come 2013 when the current test mode goes full active the general public will see one or both of the following. Smog test prices skyrocket or a fall out of technicians from either failing to be employed due to their FPR score or simply moving on to another area of employment that's safer. Im still up in the air but have already taken up a position as a diagnosis technician. I do not know if I will continue to renew my technician license.

Ill let you the readers translate that into how hard its gonna be to pass a car that could be iffy with a swap.

No way in hell would I ever jeopardize my lively hood doing illegal smogs, but these new laws put more emphasis on every dotted i than ever. Two slip ups(be they harmless and/or simple) and the tech is no longer employable by certain shops and will likely be passed over for hire at another shop despite the contingency for correcting your FPR score. I say now wait for the lines and appointments to get your smog done. Personally Im just not buying anything new enough to fall under the bi-annual inspection.

Swede- your best bet is to follow hybrid240z's outline. V8 swaps can be legal.

If in doubt consult your local referee though you may need an appointment to do so as he will be the final say in what you can an cannot do.

Edited by rayaapp2

2. Come from a donor car that was sold in the US

This is incorrect.

Per the last BAR ref I talked to the donor has to be California emission approved, so no federal motors (even L28's) are allowed.

This is incorrect.

Per the last BAR ref I talked to the donor has to be California emission approved, so no federal motors (even L28's) are allowed.

That's interesting and I will have to look into that. I was under the impression that as long as it was a US vehicle and all the appropriate related emissions equipment was intact it was legal to swap even Ca to Fed. The ONLY difference between a Federal and Ca S30 is the Catalyst that Ive been able to detect when speaking of the L28 strictly. When in doubt just follow what the ref says though as he is the word that says yes or no to a particular swap.

This is incorrect.

True but there's more to it. There was a period when manufacturers made engines with separate CA and Fed emission packages but I think that ended in 1996 when OBD2 was implemented. I'm not a smog tech so I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that since 1996 all engines sold in the US complied with CA smog requirements as of the date of manufacture.

True but there's more to it. There was a period when manufacturers made engines with separate CA and Fed emission packages but I think that ended in 1996 when OBD2 was implemented. I'm not a smog tech so I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that since 1996 all engines sold in the US complied with CA smog requirements as of the date of manufacture.

Agreed John, the point I was trying to make, was that the engine needs to be California emissions compliant not US. My Ref specifically made me get the swap from a CA emissions car and I had to provide the VIN of the car. Once he ran the VIN, every thing was ok. If the VIN would have been for a federal car (say a federal 280z, not Cali), and I'm intentionaly not splitting that hair for the later models, he would not have approved the swap.

My experiance only.

Edited by ctc

That's interesting and I will have to look into that. I was under the impression that as long as it was a US vehicle and all the appropriate related emissions equipment was intact it was legal to swap even Ca to Fed. The ONLY difference between a Federal and Ca S30 is the Catalyst that Ive been able to detect when speaking of the L28 strictly. When in doubt just follow what the ref says though as he is the word that says yes or no to a particular swap.

Again, my experiance only, It's legit to go CA into Federal body, but not the other way around. My Ref would not allow a Federal L28 motor swap into a California emissions car. He was relying on the VIN number only to prove compliance to CA emissions (Comp, cam, ect) and the exsistance of the correct emissions equipment. I am intentionally not going into the full detail of the swap, as it is covered in other threads on this sight.

Edited by ctc