HybridZ

Proper valve lash N42 head/N42 block?

What is the proper valve lash for N42 head/N42 block?

I have a clymers shop manual. It tells me .008 intake/.010 exhaust. I keep hearing a noise that sounds like rod knock. Is that normal?

Thanks any help would be a appreciated.

There is a cold and hot lash.

Some prefer cold and some prefer hot.

Im pretty anal about valve lash so I check and adjust it cold and then recheck it after its at full operating temperature. Its pretty normal for these engines to 'tick'. Its knowing when there is excessive tick that's the trick.

Cold spec is .008" intake/.010" exhaust

Hot spec is .010" intake/.012" exhaust

A go no go gauge is good, but a skilled technician will use a feeler gauge and know exactly what to feel for and how to stab the angle of the dangle. In other words adjust them and recheck them multiple times you will mess up the first hundred times you try until you get the hang of it. forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

The only time these valve lash specs are null are if you have a re-ground or aftermarket camshaft, but these specs are the same for all Nissan L-series heads that cam in the US, even the 4 cyls if I am not mistaken.

Edited by rayaapp2

Some technicians possess that German Set of individual feeler gauges with the little 'fish scale' so you know what resistance is being produced!

It's in the tool box next to the belt tension tool that actually READS the belt tension on a V-Belt.

Not to drop names or anything...wink.gif