HybridZ

BBS RS wheel build

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering where you were getting your lips from. I've had a set for a while (17" 114.3x5- 324/329 ) and have been looking for lips for some time. I've found a few but have been pretty expensive.

Thanks and show us some pictures as soon as they're done..

Hey abes, the wheels are done need to snap pictures. Wow, 17" are nice, was lookin into those. Well I got 4" polished lips for $180 in 16". But check out vrwheels, call and ask for Jack. They have 17" lips ranging al the way up to 5". They have great prices.

Here are some shoots of the wheels, these are test fit wheels, the lips will be polished. The lips are 3.5", but the rear will be 4" and front will stay with 3.5" lips. The fronts have been opened to 73.1mm. The test fit was a success,fits like a glove. It clears the spring perch thanks to my coil overs. The powder coat is bloodred, I think this is the color combo I was looking for. Its like a chocolate-red velvet cake, haha. Hope you guys like it, I sure do. Tires will be 225-45-16 and 215-45-16, a stretch, but 16" market is really limited.

post-10151-074616200 1350688063_thumb.jpg

post-10151-088014900 1350688077_thumb.jpg

post-10151-052286100 1350688093_thumb.jpg

post-10151-036849000 1350688104_thumb.jpg

post-10151-013111400 1350688115_thumb.jpg

There used to be a place called "ernies alloys" and he had a warehouse full of BBS wheels of all types.

We pieced together some crazy combinations for the rear of porsche 930s and 935s like 15x11 (345/35-15) and 16x13.

Ernie died in april of this year so I am not sure what happened to his business.

Here is the contact information for the business.......also remember that most of his business was porsche so I'm sure the pricing is porschetastic.

13640 NW 19th Ave Unit 9

Opa Locka, FL 33054

(305) 687-0028

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Excellent choice brianZ...I love the color you chose and that huge polished lip will look awesome! I always thought these wheels would be an obvious choice for a flared S30 since they can be customized so easily! The RS's are classic and a super quality wheel...as you know! I spoke w/ a guy at BBS North American Hq and he said they get calls about these wheels every single day and that he wishes they still made them.

I bought a set a couple of years ago and here's the thread of my trial fit. My link

I went with a polished lip w/ matte black centers and gloss black bolts. I don't have any updated pictures but here's the barrels after I powdercoated them the same matte black that I used on the centers: 0925011525x.jpg

I bought mine from VR Wheels as well, and while they do have an incredible selection, I had them do the redrilling for the 4x114.3 and the measurements were way off. I had my machinist bore the hub centers and redrill the lug pattern to correct their mistake....now they are perfect! So, I would just caution anyone buying from them to double check their machine work.

Good luck and I look forward to following your progress.

Edited by CarolinaTZ

Thanks guys, I can't wait till car is done. 2 months or less.

@Carolina, I can't believe I've never seen your post. I had to assume try were goin to work. I like how yours came out, I need to look into coating the inner barrel. I live like 30 mins away from vrwheels. I get a good cash discount from them, as far as machine work everything looks and fits fine. Though, I'm going over to Rotiform to check machine work. Yes, they stopped making these wheel for more than 20 years now. Thanks for sharing and I hope to follow progress on your car too.

I bought mine from VR Wheels as well, and while they do have an incredible selection, I had them do the redrilling for the 4x114.3 and the measurements were way off. I had my machinist bore the hub centers and redrill the lug pattern to correct their mistake....now they are perfect! So, I would just caution anyone buying from them to double check their machine work.

Like I said, their are a lot of issue with re-drilling wheels and the incompetence of those doing the re-drilling is a big one.

I'm not a fan of redrilling wheels for the reasons I posted elsewhere. I'll repost them here so someone can make up their own mind:

There are factory made wheels that support multiple wheel stud patterns. Those are generally OK because a trained engineer has designed and tested them and they are as cast or as machined. Adding 3 more holes to a wheel that is designed for 5 creates additional stress risers. Call Bob at BBS or Daryl at Kodiak and ask them how good idea they think this is.

Drill and fill is illegal in Canada and all of the European Union. The issues are explained above and a more fundamental problem is the filling (welding). Without knowing the aluminum alloy used by the wheel manufacturer the welder basically guesses at the right filler wire. In most cases they default to 5356 or maybe 4043, both of which work fine with 5xxx and 6xxx series aluminum alloys. But I do know that some BBS and all Kodiak wheels use a 7xxx aluminum alloy that is not weldable without hot cracking.

More importantly, aluminum's strength is increased via tempering (that's the T number after the allow - 6061-T6 is a 6 temper) and artificial hardening. Both processes use heat in values from 400F to 1000F. Welding removes all temper and takes the metal down to its base material strength. An example is 6061T6 which is rates at 40Ksi tensile but drops to 24Ksi tensile in the heat affected zone around the weld. In most drill and fill 6061T6 aluminum wheels that means the entire center hub has had its tensile strength reduced by almost 50%, unless the company doing the drill and fill sends the wheels out for proper post weld heat treatment.

Its really a stupid thing to do to an aluminum wheel.

Also, even new wheels fail without the help of additional holes drilled in the center or welding:

http://jalopnik.com/5953859/this-guys-wheel-self+destructed-and-the-company-who-made-it-is-blaming-him

I don't disagree, John. I'm no metallurgist and don't know if my wheels are weaker than they were before I modified them...it's a calculated risk I'm willing to take. I do know they originally had 10 holes and now they have 8...that may have made them weaker....it may have made them stronger...I doubt I'll ever know. The issue I had with the lug hole pattern won't have any bearing on the strength of the wheel...just whether or not it mounts up true. And that is corrected now.