HybridZ

Z31 CAS/Wheel on L28ET?

Ive seen where people swap out the Z31 dizzy internals into a L28 dizzy when doing a Z31 ECU/MAF swap, but is the Z31 CAS and Wheel ok to use with the L28ET ECU/AFM setup?

Im trying to track down an issue with the car (73 w/ L28ET) sputtering and going extremely lean under boost/load, and another thread has lead me to go through the ignition. Timing is set at 24* per the 83 FSM, and its dead solid at 2K, 3K and 4K rpm. But I cant find through the search whether or not the L28ET ECU can in fact use the Z31 CAS/Wheel(which the PO says he rebuilt the dizzy with), just that they can be swapped into a L28 dizzy and is needed when doing the Z31 ECU swap. Im wondering if this might be my problem, or if they are in fact compatible to look elsewhere.

The Z31 wheel has 1 wide slot. It would not surprise me if it causes ignition issues.

Unfortunately in the old FAQ thread that had the comparison pics of the 2 wheels, the pics no longer load, so I havent seen the actual difference, but Im wondering if the wheels are close enough that the car starts, idles and cruises just fine, but at WOT the L28ET ECU cant interpret the signal from the Z31 wheel and doesnt know whats going on.

It makes since in my head, but looking for confirmation either way from the Hybridz.org knowledge pool before I start throwing parts at it...especially since finding a l28et wheel isnt exactly easy...

If you can give me till tonight, I can post pics of the two wheels. My understanding is the Z31 wheel in the L28ET will not cause an issue. As stated, there is a second row of slots on the Z31 wheel that the Z31 ECU uses. This is why the Z31 wheel is required if you swap to the Z31 ECU and MAF. With the L28ET ECU, it will not see the signal from the second slot and should not cause interferance.

I think your issue is else where.

From what Ive seen online and in the 83 FSM (page EF & EC 61,62), the L28 wheel also has a second row of 6 slots 60* apart in addition to the 360 1* slots on the outside. The difference being on the Z31 wheel, one of those interior slots is larger than the others, wherein on the L28 wheel, the 6 interior slots are all identical sized. Both rows of slots are used by the L28ET ECU according to the FSM.

Edited by ryan95i4