HybridZ

Loose wires in my 240, what are they for?

That switch may be for the for the hatch glass defroster. On my 72 240Z there is a defroster switch like the one shown mounted in the flip up door over the fuse panel.

This.

The bottom switch is most definitely the rear defogger.

The top one, could potentially be the brake light switch. Looks to be about in the right area of the harness. I'd bet that it's your brakes. Look at the very top of you brake pedal, you'll either see a switch, or a provision for one (roughly 1/2'' threaded hole.)

Unless someone prior to you owning the car cut and spliced up your harness, which is entirely possible, those connectors were not used on the stock flasher. At least not on any of my Z's.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

The loose green/red came usoldered from the green wire terminal on the switch. It goes out to the defroster grid. Red is +12, black is ground. Turning on the switch connects the red to green, turns on the defroster and the indicator light in the switch.

Send it to me and I'll fix it for you. One warning, I may keep it for a few years though and use it.... I've been looking for one of those...

And that loose white green pair go to the turn signal flasher. or is it the hazard? One is under the steering column, the other is over in the passenger foot well.

Edited by z240

The loose green/red came usoldered from the green wire terminal on the switch. It goes out to the defroster grid. Red is +12, black is ground. Turning on the switch connects the red to green, turns on the defroster and the indicator light in the switch.

Send it to me and I'll fix it for you. One warning, I may keep it for a few years though and use it.... I've been looking for one of those...

And that loose white green pair go to the turn signal flasher. or is it the hazard? One is under the steering column, the other is over in the passenger foot well.

Hazard and turn signal flasher are the same unit I believe, at least I've seen it that way in several Z cars. If you place it anywhere in the power supply side of the circuit then any time anything in the circuit gets triggered the flasher starts pulsating the supply. Otherwise if you wanted it post-switch then you'd need a flasher for either side of the car in addition to the hazard. I believe they all go off the same flasher.

And granted I've only owned and worked on 280z's for the most part when it comes to S30's, the brake light wiring is normally black w/yellow. I agree it's probably for the flasher relay.