HybridZ

LATEST info on Headers For SBC - YES I searched...

Guys, I'm trying to decide on a header solution besides the block huggers I have. I've tried the Sanderson setup some previously used, but for a road race application the ground clearance was simply to little... What options are you guys/gals using for your ROADRACE type applications?

Doing a search really isn't getting a lot of helpfull info and I know there has to be an updated amount of info from those using these cars for track days and autoX.

Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Maybe not what you want to hear but... you've gone so far and done so much with your car that I think it wouldn't be difficult to justify some custom built long tubes. Heck, you might even be able to con JohnC into the job.

jt1, whose is that? Mike, what are you thinking on primary pip dia. & length? Anything that's better than the shorties?

Took me awhile, the Sanderson c33 series w/1 3/4" pipes did fit my car. Not a perfect fit. Knowing what I now know I would have started with them and modified. They have a great flange, the pipes are thick, they are nowhere near equal length, they are heavy.

I got 'em for $300. + shipping.

Edited by luigi

Hey Mike,

My brother Jerry has two pair of the Hooker Comp headers for the z car. One set is our old one's and the other set is coated. Not sure if they will work for your setup or not. They worked fine for us. Since we went with a turbo setup we are not using them anymore. If you are interested in trying before you buy you pay shipping I am sure he would let you try them. PM him if you are interested.

John

Luigi, those are a set of customs built by a guy here in NC. He is a spectacular welder and fabricator, but I think he has moved on to greener pastures.

Mike, he did a lot of research to pick the primary lengths. It's the first set of tri-Y's I've seen on a Z. It hasn't been to the dyno since they were built. I expect it to pick up a good bit since the original patriot block huggers appeared to be pretty restrictive. In my opinion, the exhaust was the only weak part of that car, the rest of it is a real nice combo. He's planning to get it on track this fall.

jt

Luigi, I had the c33s and they hung to low on the car.

Tedder, I like that idea of the twin branch splits!

JNJ, I will take you guys up on the offer. What is your brothers user name here?

Mike

Mike , just pm jnjdragracing we both use this username, and I am Jerry the other half of jnj thanks.

A local guy put an Ls7 in a 240z with a slightly modified set of Kook's 1 7/8 that where for a Ls-Chevy II swap. Not sure if that helps, but I thought the Chevy II's just might work out of the box... since they are totally different exhaust port lay out and you might even go 1 3/4. But then again they could be way the hell off. I would call it worth looking into.

I've got D-port heads and the LSx are round. Not gonna work. On top of that, the LSx header angle won't work on the traditional early gen motor. Had a Vette before with LG headers which are similar, and I currently have an LSx motor waiting in the wings when this one blows.

Mike

What I was trying to say is; since the LS headers for the tight engine bay in a Nova II nearly fit his 240z out of the box, then it is posible the SBC header for the same application MIGHT work. I'm fully aware the LS header is not adaptable to a SBC. Me thinks engine A for chassis X will fit (albeit slighty modified), then maybe engine B for chassis X could work as well. Hopefully that is more clear.

• 3 months later...

Mike:

Reuse the 383 stroker.  The only real advantage to a LSx engine is the aluminum block for weight.  Otherwise displacement for displacement both the SBC and LSx are equal.  The LSx engine design (GM) finally went back to high flow rectangular intake ports on the cylinder heads for the newest LSx engine series.  Maybe best to work out the oiling issues for the SBC.  I am using a racing oil pan with 6 flapper valves to keep oil at the pickup.  Hope this works as I intend to road race my 383 stroker 240Z.  Otherwise I will set it up for a dry sump system.  Please advise on which oiling system to use based on your experiences.